Cutting Table

Thank you for the link to Ikea's Galent table line Ardelle.

I see some good sewing table configurations in that line (Galent) with left supports.

I have the JoAnn's cutting table---and it's O.K.

I really like the Horn cutting table. It seems very sturdy. If I was buying I would look at that one---but, there are so many good options mentioned here.

Thank you---everyone.

after reading all the post I did realize the table I got from Joanns is a little wobbly when standing alone but since the only place I have room for it is in a corner of the room it seems to stablize it very well, of course I only have access to two sides but I make it work

We built both my sewing table and cutting tables using 2 X 4s and 4 X 8 ft. sheets of Melamine and pressed board. The two cost less than $300 and are massive. They both offer great storage. You can see them in my webshots. We are not furniture makers by any stretch of the imagination but I love them and they work perfectly.

the previous owners of our home left a huge old business desk in what would become my quilting room. I was trying to get my DH to lug it out of the room, up the stairs and out to the curb for the DAV to pick up. The desk is so big it wouldn't fit through the door frame!( I think they built the room around it). It's not a pretty desk and I so wanted to get a nice pretty one for my room. It had to stay put and is the absolute best desk I could imagine. It's big, sturdy, and has lots of storage. I'd suggest looking for a good old used business desk for cheap. It's not ugly, it just has character!!

Good Luck in your search, Tammy

Well last year at HMQS I bought one of the Martelli Hydraulic cutting tables they were using as a demo. I got it even cheaper than the other models they were demoing on because it got a ding in it in shipping. My hubby just ground out the ding and it is good as new. The only thing was I had to wait until the show was over. No biggy, just waited 2 extra hours to drive home. I don't think I would buy one outright but the price was right on the demo ones. So if you have room and in your vehicle and you are at a show, go to the cutting table boths first, you might be surprised what you find.

I like it because I can adjust it to cut sitting down or standing up and also use it as an extra sewing table if needed. The only issue was getting it back from the hubby, once it hit the garage to get the ding ground out, he thought he could find a few uses for it too. I had to pitch a fit to get my table back.

Shirley

If you end up with something heavy and have carpeting, you can buy little coaster looking things from the hardware store. They might be called furniture movers....not sure. I can find out if anyone wants to know. I use a heavy workbench my husband made a long time ago. With those coasters attached to the bottom of the legs, that heavy bench is very easy for me to move if I need to move it.

Jess

Originally posted by SueinScottsdale

I have the fold-up cutting table from JoAnn's but it is really shaky and moves.

Mine from JoAnn's is very shaky as well - I am not very impressed. I have had mine on carpeting and it still shakes- it is just not stable. I cut now on homemade base and top - much better - but can't fold it down!!

Mine is one of a kind. I saw this old cupboard sitting on a trailer by the end of a driveway. Old green paint all chipped. I kinda liked it for that old shabby sheik look. But I decided with the age of it, the paint was probably lead based. So I stripped off all the paint and sanded it down, varnished it with about 5 layers on top and that's my cutting table. It's 8' long and 36"wide with 6 drawers on both sides. That's 12 drawers to store stuff in! I bought it for $75 and when I showed pictures to the former owner, he offered me $300. Crazy me, I kept it. I just love it! I do have one of the fold down ones from Joanne's that I used to use full time. Wobbly, but it worked at the time. I've seen a few old cupboards and tables at auctions that would work too.

Archived