Colorado Quilters

I have used the HQ machines as well as APQS. (used to sell each at one time or another) No experience with the Crown Jewel. The HQ model that I demonstrated was less stable (vibrated more).

Absolutely love the customer service at APQS. This was one of the most important factors when I purchased my own machine(s) last year.

When you are shopping/considering the different makes and models, be sure to compare apples to apples. i.e. table length, throat space, options such as channel locks, automatic fabric advance, warrantee, etc. If buying a used machine, I wouldn't hesitate if it were an APQS as they are so well built to begin with. One of mine is a second hand machine and runs like a charm.

Good luck. You will enjoy most any machine you choose to buy.

I had an HQ16 for 5 years and got along great. Sold it to another gal who is still using it. I was ready to upgrade to a machine with a larger throat space and since APQS is only 60 miles from me, I went with the Millie. HQ are made in Utah. Their newer models with larger throat space look very nice. I've seen some pros on TV using them.

Thank you so much Linda, Libby, Laura, Lucy, Kristina!

Great information, and it is such a hard decision for me. I love to quilt and seem to 'stradle the line' on ... jump in with both feet OR dabble dabble dabble with a lower priced set up and see if I like it enough to then cannonball into the deep end of the pool.

I have always (except this issue) felt that the more competent machine, the greater joy & success I would have with sewing.

I think the amount of space, and the daunting cost really make me more cautious with this subject. AND the fact there is only a very small HQ within a short distance to where I live.

The folks that have the 'big dog' machines are more than an hour each way from where I live.

Too funny, in this age of 'high speed everything' it used to take months and months to get things done or go somewhere, now... I am into the fastest something or other so I can get 'there' .... well quite frankly... faster!

I really appreciate all your input and realize this is a process I am working through right now and the perfect solution, I know WILL present itself to me and in the right time.

Thank you Thank you!!

Melinda

'Armless' at the moment :P

If you are still looking for a machine, I have a 2005 Milli for sale, great machine, would love to send you pictures if you like, I live in Virginia 40 miles SW of Roanoke, I have enjoyed my machine, but it is a time in my life when I have to give up quilting, send me an email if you are interested. I would love to talk with you. jcox@carilionclinic.org

Archived