Loading a quilt

:D:D:D No, I have a timer, I just turned the timer on, then hit the botton to take the picture... positioned my mangled hands in front of the lens and waited 10 seconds. There ya go, my unmanicured hands and bandaids.

I need to add, if you ever wanted to buy stock I would suggest Johnson and Johnson bandaids. At least until I can afford to buy zippers.;)

One word gals: ZIPPERS! They were the very first thing I sewed on my longarm. I'm allergic to pins -- they make my fingers bleed! :o:P I highly recommend the QuickZip system. You can get it at Columbia River Quilting, or directly from Sue Schmieden. Worth every cotton pickin' cent you pay for them. I have one machine set and several quilt sets. Can't live without 'em!

I do have the zippers but I still pin to them! I just use them if I do an OOPS! and have to frog more than a little, and if I have to turn the quilt. Just haven't gotten into the basting the quilt on before I load it........anal of me, huh. It's that old addage about the old dog and the new tricks!!:P

Mary Beth, SAVE THE FINGERS!!! Use zippers. Have just recently put mine on and it is a real zip. I can pin the zippers on while I am watching TV and then just zip the quilt on and off the frame in a snap. Got one on the frame now that I just finished quilting and started to unzip when the doorbell rang. My order of new thread came today and I had to take time to unpack and look at all the goodies I got. I got some beautiful colors this time and at $3.00 for a 6,000 yard cone I usually order 2 of every color he has in stock. Got to get it all put up now so the quilt will have to wait.

Anyway, buy ZIPPERS! They save a lot in bandaids. Crafttlady (jessquiltn@hotmail.com)

Mary Beth, You asked where do I get my thread at $3.00 per cone. I get 100% cotton from Long Creek Mills in Gastonia, NC. Been buying from Charlie for a long time. He has a web site www. longcreekmills.com but it has been down for the past couple of days. The toll free # is listed on the site so call for a list of colors. Crafttlady

I had my DH buy some liquid bandaid last time he went to Wal-Mart...but that is like watching grass grow. You paint it on, then blow till you hyperventilate. I ususally get too much and it takes forever to dry. Anyway, as much as I cut myself and pin prick my fingers I would be covered from head to toe in that stuff.;)

Mary Beth....and I thought I was a danger to myself in the studio....I have stuck needles and pins at least an inch into my thumb and thought I would pass out....stuck them under my thumb nails and just looked at it with this stupid look of "How did that happen", but your bandaids not only made me laugh, but made me thinks of a battle zone.

My only thought for you because mine is up and needs to redone is "How is your tetanus shots". Having been raised on a ranch where nasty dirty things are running around. This is about the only thing my mom (may she rest in peace) harped about getting when it was due.....NOW My nursey sister yells at me when I tell her I just stuck myself once again. :P

Lockjaw isn't a dead ailment and we quilters should keep up on that...we don't know where the quilt fabrics have been and we keep picking up the pins from the floor, walking on them for a few days and then put them into the quilt....my sister keeps reminding me that if I would start to boil my needles and pins she wouldn't have to yell at me to make sure I have my tetanus shot. I politely inform her that is she wants my metal items boiled than she can come visit and do just that, even though I know she is right. Not likely to get it, but its not fun if you have seen anyone with it.

When you get your stocks in Johnson and Johnson would your ask for a few shares for me as well....:cool:

Myrna,

Do you have any problem with the quilt fabric fraying when you take off the painters tape, especially the top? I hadn't thought of using it...does it really hold that well under tension? What about stretching the fabric?

Just curious...

If you ever do any hand quilting (haha)...liquid bandaid is great to apply to your finger that gets pricked under the quilt before you start quilting. Apply several layers before you start.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Bonnie,

My sister is diabetic and told her doctor that she checked her sugar when she stabbed herself with a pin and he gave her a tetanus shot. I hate stabbing myself and my next investment WILL be zippers. Have you ever thought that you actually might be saving money by getting the zippers? Band-aids aren't cheap, and liquid bandaid hurts, the hyperventilating isn't for drying its to help stop the hurt.

Sheryl

www.shedznbedz.com

I have zippers but I still have to pin the fabric to the zippers. I know that some people have chain stitch machines and they sew the fabric to the zippers, but there is no way I want to push all that fabric through the tiny throat area of my DSM. I love the zippers and always use them - they have saved my butt several times when I had to frog or change quilts in the middle of quilting, but I still have to deal with the pins and I do get stabbed.,:mad:

If anyone has another way to get the fabric onto the zippers, let me know

Sheryl,

Someday I will get the zippers, but I don't do anywhere as many quilts in a week as I once did (so I don't poke myself anymore)....that is where I would get into trouble...when I had to do three or four a week and with speed came blood.

I have been getting tetanus shots since I was about 3 years old...first time I stuck a nail through...yes through, my knee cap...fell on a pile of boards. I was someplace I shouldn't have been and got into trouble big time.

Second time I was 'bout 13 when I as inside a grainary pushing the grain around to even it out...some idiot (my dad's boss) threw a huge log inside the grainary to flatten out the grain...didn't say anything to us kids...and he watched me take my shoes off, I hate grain in my shoes....yep...stuck it completely through my foot...my father the tough guy almost lost it when he had to pull me off. For those what know nails...it was a fencing spike, about three times the size of a 10 penny nail.

Then I left the ranch and basicly forgot all about tetanus shots until about 8 years ago...and I was laying out a newspaper page and yep I stuck my exacto knife though the top of my finger...yep to the bone, and 5 stitches later. NOW I need another one...so now that I have harped at ya'all about this I had better get my hinny busy and get one.

:D Hope everyone has a great night.

My dad was in constuction so I have been up on my tetnus shots all my life also. I have stepped on so many nails, because ya know....I am from the Missouri Ozarks and we don't wear shoes in the warm months:D

Just about a week ago I went to the freezer to get a carton of ice cream. I brought it in the house and trying to be fun I slid across the kitchen floor - barefooted - there was a piece of glass between the cracks in the wood floor and guess where it landed. My DH, who is also a tough guy, almost passes out trying to dig into the bottom of my foot to get it out. He was amazed that I didn't shed a tear. I asked him if he had ever had a baby!!;)

I haven't tried the painter's tape, but Myrna you are right it is always close by. I may try that next. Thanks for the tip!

Mary Beth....ouhhhhhhh....man that made me suck air... ouhhhh. Yep know what its like to run barefooted...I always figured that if God meant me to have shoes he would have put them ON ME before I was born.

Donna...you are taking out all the fun in this....or at least you must be....silly me never thought about safety pins...someday for the zippers though.

Cheryl....you are right painters tape does come in handy when quilting makes a great line to follow and SHOULD you go over it...it pulls off and you keep doing.

HOWEVER, Myrna...would never have thought to use it for a bandaid....always have it in the sewing box will save a trip up the steep stairs now to get a bandaid...thanks.

I have the zippers but I still pin to them. I use safety pins so I still get stuck once in a while. I use straight pins to stabilize the sides as I go, until I get them sewn down. Right now I've had to take a few days off quilting.

I have a dog bite with lots of holes, stitches and swelling. The thing that makes me maddest is my hands were too swollen to quilt, although the advantage is I can't take a strangle hold on my mille! Sometimes I'm so intense on the quilting I don't realize I've got a white knuckle grip on my machine!

Don't you still have to pin the quilt to the zippers?

I don't have any, so I suppose I don't know what I'm missing.

Tish

Originally posted by Linda S

One word gals: ZIPPERS! They were the very first thing I sewed on my longarm. I'm allergic to pins -- they make my fingers bleed! :o:P I highly recommend the QuickZip system. You can get it at Columbia River Quilting, or directly from Sue Schmieden. Worth every cotton pickin' cent you pay for them. I have one machine set and several quilt sets. Can't live without 'em!

Archived