Loading a quilt

Didn't I read somewhere that you can sew the canvas leaders to the zippers with the long arm?????? I think we need some pictures here showing how the zippers work. I'm thinking about getting some.

Do you pin the batting onto the zippers, or just sew it down to the backing?

And did you say the BLUE painter's tape comes off easily if you sew through it??? I guarantee the yellow regular masking tape doesn't come off easily. I nearly ripped a hole in my quilt trying to remove a piece I accidentally sewed over.

Hugs, Joy

Joy,

I've never had a problem getting off the blue tape....its pretty easy, NO WAY like the regular yellow masking tape...the Blue and even the purple are a very low tack so they don't seem to stick to the fabric as badly...and when I catch it with the needle it just tears from easy side and comes off.

Joy-

When you purchase the zippers from Sue she gives you a wonderful booklet filled with step by step color photo instructions for attaching the zippers to your leaders and for loading up your quilt. I highly recommend them.

You will permanently attach the machine set of zippers to your canvas leaders and then when you load your quilt you will use a semi-float method and pin the backing to zippers and the top to the top roller zipper. The batting floats freely between the layers. The photo directions will go through the whole process and you will be amazed at how fast loading a quilt becomes with this system.

Happy Quilting-

Sheri Flemming

I have attached the zippers to the Millenium. We will see if they work better than the velcro i had been using. I use a few safety pins but I chain stitch the quilt parts to muslin strips that have the other parts of the zippers on them. I have started doing another quilt SID so far not too bad. Still working on those Red Satin bridesmaid dresses. Headache and a half. New project, Sweatshirt jacket, with all my lefover patches. Have to have a relief from that red stuff.

Archived