Sorry, this is not a long arm question, but I'm just wondering if any of you have purchased the Bernina 830, and if so, are you having any problems with it? I had so many problems the store finally shipped it back to the Company. They made a lot of adjustments, and when I got it back it seemed to work great, then last night while sewing it started telling me the thread was broken. I tried everything I could think of, and it continued. After about an hour of trying to fix it, I finally switched to my old machine. I am just really tired of taking it in to be looked at. Sorry about the long complaining, just really frustrated. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.:mad:

Guest Linda S

I have a Bernina 153QE - love it to death. I've heard nothing good at all about the Bernina 830. Looks super, and with the Bernina name, you'd expect it to be wonderful, but . . .

Good luck to you.

I have the 820 because I didn't need the embroidery module.

I have had nothing but problems with it. In and out of the shop, which isn't easy because of its size. We were called to the shop a few months ago for some fixes and new maintenance. My dealer said that Bernina told her that they would never again release a machine without fully testing it,

WHAT!!!! I wish that they would send mine back to the factory instead of "trying" to fix it. Mine has terrible tension and "will not" sew a proper zig-zag stitch. Oh boy, you got me started, LOL.

Just a point of clarification....

I haven't a clue why they did it, but Bernina has used the "830" number for two machines.

The new 830 is the embroidery model that has just come out, and there is an 'old' 830, too.

The OLD 'Nina 830's are a real workhorse, and worth their weight.

If anyone has one, I'll cheerfully take that burden off their hands! lol! :D

They are a real treasure, along with the B. 730, and the Necchi Supernova, and some other models.

I scored a 'Nina 730 at a yard sale that was really abused...left in the damp somewhere, because the case is shot and it shows massive quantities of rust. Brought it home, scrubbed it off as well as I could, used some of hubby's military-type, marine-grade penetrating lube on it, and doused the heck out of it, and let it sit a few days. Then, cleaned it and oiled it again...Threaded it, gave it a new needle and it Still sews! It's not going to win any beauty awards, but when hubby wants to sew sheet metal or boot straps or something...that's the machine I'll let him use. It'll sew it, and he can't hurt it.

(I love old waif machines. They follow me home because they know I'll oil them and love them and name them George...)

I've had a Bernina 930 for 25 years, and a 440 QE for 5, LOVE both of them, they are real workhorses for me (bridal, home dec, quilting, dolly's) That said,, over the years I have heard of people with fabulous brand names having a "lemon", seems to me no one left out of that particular place. I would advise factory or very competent brand specific service tech, till they get it right, really your only recourse unless you choose to sell. One of my friends did that early in the life of her machine, and it's worked well for almost 20 years...

On another note, my Bernina dealer here,(I've had to switch with every state I moved to...) is great and sends their master mechanic to school quite often. I like that he really comes back energized and with good ideas, even for me with older machines. I do send my machines in for regular maintence ;) Pat

I have the Bernina Virtosa 150 quilting edition and I just love my machine and believe me it's sewn a lot of quilts and the only problem I've ever had was when it was new there was a small plastic piece that broke and they replaced it with a metal one and it's worked like a charm ever since and that must be at least 15 years now. Wouldn't give it up.

Let me add on to my post. I have a super great 440QE an love it, in fact it's the reason I decided to get the "new" 820 against my own concerns (new model). Prior to the 440 I had a Kenmore that you couldn't kill, it was 30 years old and going strong. I had it serviced and donated it to the local woman shelter. I do prefer Brother for my embroidery machine in fact I have a 6 needle and a 10 needle machine.

I have a 440QE and a 153 Virtuosa. I LOVE both of these machines &

except for 1 computer update, have never had even the slightest issues with

either one.

I'm sorry you are having problems. One of my quilty friends has also

had a lot of trouble with her Bernina. I always thought it was from

overuse and no maintenance. Clearly I was wrong about that!

I hope you can get your issues straightened out & enjoy your machine.

I have the Bernina 200E and love it. It did have to have a new mother board about 1 month before the warranty was out!:D Yea for me cause those puppies are expensive! My Bernina dealer tried to get me to buy the new 830 when I was looking for a LA telling me how much better it would be. Ha! Love my Milli:):):).Sorry your having trouble. Those machines cost way too much for people to have this much of a problem. I hope Bernina gets it fixed. I would hate to see that their quality is going down!

I guess I should mention that I also have a 730, and I love it. I only bought the 830 because I hadn't thought of just going ahead and getting a long arm, so my "big plan" was to quilt my quilts on it since it had such a big open neck area. I guess I could say all this trouble with the 830 prompted me to go ahead and get the Milli. As much as I paid for the 830 I could have paid more than half of the Milli. :P

As an update, I went back to the store yesterday, and asked them to resale it. They have a lot of people showing interest in them, so who knows? I know I'll have to lose some of what I paid, but just to recoup some of the cost would be good. I just hope they get it fixed before they sell it. I have to take it back in to them on Saturday. Oh boy, that's fun with the size and weight of it!!:P I actually seat belt it in the car when it makes it's routine runs to the shop!:)

My friend Lois had a horrible experience with her 830 and eventually sold it back to the dealer. Both of us love our other Berninas but the new 830 is a nightmare...it is trying to be all things to all people and it is failing miserably. Jack of all trades, master of none. What is does best is embroidery. She wanted to advise you to get the dealer to take your machine back if at all possible.

Lois then invested less money in an APQS George machine and has been happy and winning awards for her quilting ever since. Here's hoping that your dealer is able to take the 830 off your hands.

I have the 830... from 1975. LOL Actually, it's my second one. I gave the first away to a relative when I bought my 180 in the mid 90s. But then I missed it so much that after a few years, went looking for another one on ebay and found a pristine one for about the same dollars I paid for the old one.

Oh, there, I needed a fix. I had to stop in the middle of this message, set it up and sew on it. :D

I'm not even tempted to buy a new 830 though. I learned from buying the 180 that I don't care for embroidery at all.

I have the Artista 640. I like it, can't say I love it. I did have a Virtuosa 163 and LOVED it! But no embroidery, so I sold it to buy the 640. Don't even embroider very much at all!

I also had a Juki TL98Q that sewed a PERFECT 1/4" seam and sold that. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb! I should have kept one of those two!

I've been looking at the Janome Horizon. $3000. No embroidery, but lots of other great features.

I'm so sorry for the trouble you are having. Am I surprised? Absolutely NOT! I had an 830 ( the new one). I hated it. I spent an entire year taking it home; having a problem; taking it back; picking it up; having another problem; taking it back for service again. It was even sent to Chicago to have the major service people check it over there. They didn't even address my issues. I think that the machine does so much, it doesn't do anything well. If you could get the Bernina store to take it back, even if you have to take a loss, that's what I'd recommend. I down traded to a 730 and then I got my George for Machine Free Motion Quilting. I couldn't be happier.

Archived