NQR - Does this sound like a hoax?

My niece has a website selling cute little miniature scenes with Barbie dolls, furniture, wardrobes, etc., and recently got an e-mail from a H.S. teacher who also has her own business (those of us who have actually taught don't think that would be possible timewise). She says she is using niece's photography in a Power Point Presentation for her students. Final exam is building a diorama and she has asked niece for suggestions. Niece is very excited.

"It’s a H.S. teacher so unfortunately no royalty fees. All my photos are marked with my business name. Hopefully that will mean increased traffic to my site which = $ from advertisers. Hoping to land a sponsor with enough traffic. Exposure doesn’t hurt even if it's just in a New Jersey High School classroom."

I wrote to her and told her to be careful if she suddenly gets hit up for money. She thinks I'm raining on her parade, and all I'm trying to do is warn her that all that glitters is not gold.

What do you all think?

She should be able to check with the high school and find out if this is a real person. Asking questions, getting answers and checking facts. I agree, if they ask for money run the other way.

We listed moving boxes on Craigs List. We got someone wanting to pay us $25 more than what we were asking. The next email stated that his assistant had made the check out for $2000 more than what we were asking and would we take this check and send him the balance. Well by then, I had a real person picking the boxes up with cash in hand for the amount listed. It never hurts to be wary of internet schemes.

Originally posted by AnnHenry

My niece has a website selling cute little miniature scenes with Barbie dolls, furniture, wardrobes, etc. She says she is using niece's photography in a Power Point Presentation for her students.

What do you all think?

I think anyone with a web business knows not to hijack a photo from another website--copyright rules and all that--especially a teacher. If she wanted to use it as a teaching tool, permission should have been requested and granted. JMHO and the unwritten etiquette/legal rules of web-dom.

I say "pass".

Archived