touchy tension?

I quilted on Thursday and everything was fine. Today is Saturday and the tension was all loose underneath when I started. i re=threaded everything, and checked my bobbin - both threads (Rainbows on top, King Tut on bottom) pull freely and then drag, pull freely, and then drag. I'm forgetting something, but I don't know what it is! Any ideas?

Slather up the King Tut with Sewer's Aid to tame some of the drag on that thick cotton thread.

Blow out the bobbin case and check if there is lint built up under the bobbin case finger. I recently soaked my case in alcohol to de-grease it.

That heavy thread in your bobbin will look great on the back, but you have poly thread on top and cotton on the bottom. The poly is slippery and the cotton is not. You can run any thread you like, but may spent long amounts of time getting it set up.

Remember as well, self-wound bobbin get tighter as the thread loads, so check your bobbin tension half-way through as it may need to be tightened a bit.

Good luck and let us know what worked for you.

You are a doll! Thanks, and I'll go try all of that. You are right, I know it, and plus the back is a batik (tightly woven) so this is a perfect storm. And I'm half-way through, so I can't unsew and start it over. I've done this combination before and didn't have trouble - so it must have been different fabrics. I'll make a note to never combine this again. I used to use Bottom Line with my Rainbows, but didn't like the thin thread look.

• 1 month later...
Guest Linda S

MAGNA GLIDE bobbins!! Perfect tension - nearly every time. I know you all probably think I'm nuts because I keep saying this, but let me give you an example. I just finished a king sized quilt, using the Baptist Fan board from Circle Lord. Now, if you've used those boards, you know you can be really hauling when you're quilting. I used medium green Glide on the top, WHITE Magna Glide bobbins. Perfect tension -- not an eyelash, railroad track, or pokie anywhere in sight. And, you can't see any white on the top, nor green on the back. Check it out.

post--1346190597819_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you both for your input; sorry I didn't check back in sooner:) I hadn't heard of MagnaGlide, but haven't managed to gt to a longarm show yet. I will check them out. I did adjust my bobbin tension a couple of times and have managed to get through that quilt. Can't figure out why I had been able to use KT in bobbin and Rainbows on top before with no problem. The comment from Linda about no glitches on the back sounds really nice - my tension will look great and then sometimes there will be a little loop on the back - not on a severe curve or anything. Don't know why that happens. I really appreciate the help from the experienced goddesses!

Presencia 40, 50, or 60, Aurifil 40 or 50, Sulky (if you want heavier)

I almost never use a varigated in the bobbin. If I use a variegated on the top I use a solid on the back. The variegated's theard thickness can vary especially in the cottons due to the dye and that can affect your tension.

I have some of the fil tec cotton to try from MQS but haven't had a chance yet.

Redhotmama:

I am having the same issue...great tension one day and problems the next day with same project. I can feel the humidity levels change in this building and it is changing the performance of my threads. Today is so humid, they must have the air conditioning shut off, that I just put my extended base on and it is tacky enough to push the bottom fabric rather than just gliding underneath. I am thinking an investment in a de-humidifier would be good.

I tend to use the same bobbin for the whole quilt. It is a little bit of a pain to stop and wind but while the bobbin is winding I can clean out the bobbin area or run to the bathroom. By doing this I don't tend to get the variance in tension.

You might also want to take a pin and gently clean under the finger of your bobbin case. King tut thread can be linty. I've used it in the bobbin per customer request and the only thing that drove me nuts was how quickly I ran out of bobbin thread! LOL I'm used to bottom line.

My opinion only. I seem to have more humidity/weather issues with cotton threads rather than polys. I used to use almost all cotton with a rare poly here and there. Now I seem to use more polys with all the choices that have become avail over the past few years.

I'm a thread junkie anyway.

Archived