Lining up pantos/templates with Power Fabric Advance

yankiequilter

I added the Power Fabric Advance to my Millie table recently and love it! One thing that I'm having a problem with is getting the quilt top in exactly the right spot for second and subsequent passes of a panto or template when advancing the quilt. I find that I have to repeatedly advance and reverse until I get lucky and hit just the right spot.

For those of you with the power advance, how do you hit the right spot? Maybe there is a way to disengage the power advance to tweek the rollers, but I didn't get any operating instructions with the advance and don't know how to do anything differently than to just use the switches (or the foot control) to go forward or reverse. Thanks!

You will get good at knowing when to stop...it just takes a little time to get to know the machine(advance). I don't struggle with it any more. I have learned to be very light or quick tap with the foot pedal when getting close or have to back up. I usually can do it without having to reverse.:)

It does take practice, but remember you can adjust the laser light a bit to get it lined up. You can get it close with the auto advance, then get it better with an adjustment to the laser light.

Don't worry too much about getting EXACT...pantos have a little wiggle room built in and as long as you are not wildly inconsistant, it will look great!

If the panto has the small bit of printing that shows where the next row would go (usually a dotted line), I put the needle down in that line, loosen the bottom rollers and advance with the needle down. The first time I was worried I would tear the quilt, but it has never give me a problem, and the rows line up evenly every time.

For panto that don't have the extra printing I do what your doing now and get it as close as possible.

Dana

I always put my needle down in the highest point, and then roll until the laser light hits that point on the bottom edge of the panto. I hope that makes sense. I'm always very careful to watch as I advance so that I don't run into the leveler bar and risk tearing that quilt. I usually get just a little past the mark and then when I tighten the sandwich up I'm about right on.

Guest Linda S

Like Heidi, I put my needle down in the top part of the panto, then go down to the end of the machine and turn the motor on (for some reason, I never use my foot pedal). I place a small piece of painter's tape on the plastic where the laser needs to stop, and just roll till I'm just about there. Usually, it's easy to adjust after that.

It sounds like I am doing it the same as everyone. I realize that with pantos there is a bit more leeway, but I'm mostly using templates and have to hit right on the groove. I'm using the switches at the motor when advancing to line up because I can see better from that position. I do put the needle down and watch very carefully to be sure I don't do something to tear the quilt top. I find that when I raise the needle the quilt is then off the proper alignment a bit and I keep tweeking until everything sits just right. I was hoping there was a secret to getting it right the first time. :D

I use my foot pedal, too, but do not put my needle down...just in case I "space out" for a moment and tear the quilt. I usually quilt with theTV on and sometimes get distracted for a moment. I also keep the foot pedal on my table and use my hand to advance the quilt, instead of my foot. I seem to have better control this way. I rarely have trouble lining things up. PPP

My fabric advance has about a quarter of an inch glide to it after I have released the pedal. So I have gotten good at judging when to release the foot pedal, so the quilt just slides into where I need it to line up. If I miss it, I just lightly tap the pedal and that usually gets it on the mark. Can also tweak by tightening or slacking the roller. I try not to move my laser once it is set. Don't

want any distortion to the pattern.

Archived