Problem after timing machine

Took the Maintenance class last week and thought it might help me with some issues I was having.

Timed the machine because there was no needle deflection happening when I checked. Stitches seem to form fine, but every so often (maybe every 12-15 inches of sewing) the top thread lays on the top of the fabric. Not like if you were having a railroad track issue but more like a short bunch of excessive thread. Then the stitches look fine.

Sew fine in the bottom and a cotton covered poly on top. Then tried poly on top and get it pretty much either way. It happens on curves as well as straight stitching.

Adjusted tensions till I get pokes on the top and it still seems to happen every so often. Re-adjusted tension to the correct balance (only adjusting top tension disks, not bobbin). Using same color and thread on bobbin as I did in quilt I quilted prior to timing.

Any thoughts?

I would bet it is a tension problem and nothing to do with timing. The bobbin thread is not pulling the stitches into the quilt sandwich if you have loose (flat) stitches on top. Tighten the bobbin thread a bit--and maybe the top thread as well. You want a balance and that balance can make tighter stitches or looser stitches--even when it is balanced.

I use a bobbin thread gauge and I manage to balance my tensions at one number that works for me. Others set their bobbin tension much tighter, compensate with a tighter top tension, and get great stitches as well. Tighten both a bit and see if the railroad tracks go away. Find a sweet spot with the drop test for your bobbin and don't be afraid to adjust the top thread as well.

We were shown how to take the tension assembly from the machine, and then make sure the check spring had enough bounce in it.

I thought my tension check spring wasn't springy enough before and was letting the thread "slacken off" occasionally.

So yes also use your new maintenace skills on the tension assembly.

Lyn

Dollie,

Write down in a booklet, what adjustments you make to keep track of the changes, otherwise you'll end up not knowing who is arthur or martha!

It did sound like half the timing issue with no needle deflection. Lyn also has a good idea to check the spring. Check that the machine is actually threaded correctly, re-thread it from the spool to the needle. Use a net over the spool or turn the spool upside down (see if the thread whiplashes). Place some poly batt into the first thread guide.

Go to Quilt talk with Dawn and read/watch her info on tension. From memory there are two items dealing with tension. Also go up a needle size and see what happens. Slow down and see if that makes a difference as well.

Lyn, you go girl!!! :D:cool:

Mark and Mike have unleashed a problem solving, let- me- get- my- hands- on- a- machine- to- fix- it, little monster, haven't they!! :D

Cheers,

Dollie, if your top thread is laying on top and it appears loose, then check the thread path and three hole guide position. Make sure the check spring does have some bounce as Lyn and Susanne suggest. But if the top thread is tight and pulling to the surface, something is applying extra pressure. It could be the way the cone feeds, the check spring could be rubbing on the side of the machine, or it could be twisted incorrectly somewhere along the thread path. Let us know how we can help!

Thanks to all those that posted assistance on my issue.

It seems that the cone of thread I had was possibly the issue. I tried all kinds of things, step by step..noting them on paper as I made the changes. Finally I got down to noting with a pencil right on the muslin a 1/4 turn, an 1/8 turn, etc. when I'd make the top tension change. That thread just didn't want to be happy. Tested a couple other spools on top and my problems went away. Amazing. My tension adjusted easily with both sig. cotton and so fine. So there you have it..... It was the strangest thing though. There would be a build up of thread, not just like it was laying on the top and not like a birds nest either. Then it would stop and I'd see wonderful tension.

Glad to see it go in the trash! And to celebrate it I spent the rest of the day just playing and didn't stress. Just pure playing.

Put more pics on my blog. http://quiltinalong.blogspot.com/

Happy stitching everyone.

post--13461905864155_thumb.jpg

Archived