Ult 2 vs Lenni

This question is for Dawn or Mark. Does the Lenni have a hopping foot or "scooting" foot like the Ult 2? If it has a hopping foot, can the Ult 2 be retro fitted with the Lenni hopping foot mechanism? I have problems basting with my Ult 2. The foot seems to push the fabric and I can't keep the top in place. I have to pin the top to hold it. I have an I/S Turbo on the machine that has 2 great basting stitch options, but can't use them on the quilt edges. I also have a Gammill Classic with I/S Turbo that has a hopping foot and can baste OK with it.

I'm pretty good at machine modifications, so if it's just parts switch out it's probably something I could do. Thanks. Jim

Jim,

I do believe the answer is no. There are no controls in the UII front compartment to allow the UII to have a hopping foot. I had one for many years and had asked the same question 8 years ago. Adjusting the foot will help you maintain control of the basting that you are trying to do. Just takes practice. zeke......................

I have found that when I did SID on my UII I had to adjust the foot height. From then on I had no problems at all. It's a matter of knowing your machine and it's capabilities. The gliding foot is a plus in certain situations and a hindrance in others. The thing that I liked about the gliding foot is that I didn't have to watch it move up and down all the time, but once I got my first machine with a hopping foot, I found it was no problem with the hopping foot either. Muslin works fine for practice and doesn't cost too much. I've been at this since 1994 and have done about almost everything you can think of with a long/shortarm and all it is, is practice. The more you perfect yourself, the better you will become. Don't look at your machine as a tool that will hinder your abilities, but as one that make your abilities advance and improve with some work. The UII is a wonderful machine and made me very happy for 14 years that I had it. zeke....................

Hey Jim,

The Lenni does have the hopping foot like the larger machines. The U-II as you said did not have a hopping foot, but a spring loaded presser foot. This was done to keep the cost down in the machine as the U-II was a very basic machine. Because there is not the driving mechanism inside of the U-II for the hopping foot, it can not be retro fitted. However there are some different feet out there that can be put on that are built up for using templates and rulers. I believe The Gadget Girls have one for sale and also Sheri Butler who is on this chat also had one she sold. I hope that answers your questions and helps! :)

This is for Zeke. Thanks for your comments. What you said about great performance from these machines got me looking for a problem with the machine. It isn't that I need practice, it is that I needed advice about adjusting the presser foot. It seems that the height adjustment for "scooting" feet is more sensitive than for hopping feet (or maybe the hopping foot on my Gammill is simply perfectly adjusted). I've raised the foot on the Ult 2 to .055" above the needle plate, and it seems to have solved the basting problem. I've only tested on a test sandwich and won't know for sure until I try an actual quilt. There is actually some space between the foot and the sandwich, less than .010", but space none the less. Previously I've had the foot a good bit tighter. The new height seems to have also improved my stitch quality. Thanks again. Jim

Archived