Charging for thread

Hi All, here's another question for you. Do you charge for thread, and if you do, how do you figure out the amount? I've been doing customer quilts for over a year now, and business is starting to really pick up, which is wonderful. But so far I haven't been charging for thread. I like using Superior's King Tut. I really like it and so do my customers, but it is starting to get quite expensive to replace it.

Thanks, Cathy

I didn't charge for thread, in my past life no matter what type or amount of it I used...it was all part of the price, but now when I get re-set up I have decided that I will provide a single thread like Signature or maybe another, but will charge whatever it costs for the speciality type threads like King Tut, Metallics, etc....if I don't use the whole spool I will only charge them for what I think I have used....full spool full price, half spool half price.

I too have been thinking about this and this is what I have come up with. Also would like to hear what the others have decided to be fair.

I'm pondering the same issue. I think in the beginning, you sort of have to throw a few bones out to people and as you get more "sought after" you can gradually raise your prices and/or start charging for thread. I wouldn't do both quite at the same time:). I've heard of some people charging a flat $2-6 per quilt depending upon quilt sizes and quilting types but I've also heard of people charging per bobbin used. I'm not sure that I could be that detailed, but I have heard of it. Sometimes a flat fee is just easier....and I do charge extra for metallics and variegated--because they cost more, and I am not a charity!

Jill Kerekes

My average threads are included in the price of the quilting. Anything "special" such as variegateds are extra. I charge between $3 and $10...3 for crib-size, approx 5-6 for lap and 10 for full-sized quilts.

I have had no complaints because it is their choice to choose these threads and they understand that they are more expensive.

Sandra

I charge a flat fee of $3 for regular thread and $5 for varigated thread. I also charge if there are 3 or more thread changes...$3 per change. I usually only do 2 thread changes at most, but get into the art quilts and there can be many, many changes...it all takes time. I haven't had any complaints as most in the area charge for thread.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I just started my business. The seller's permit (or tax-id or

business license, etc) enables me to get thread and batting

at wholesale prices. This is tied to collecting tax for

fabrication labor and products used in the quilt like batting

and thread. In order to get the thread and batting

wholesale without paying tax to the vendor, I must charge

for the thread/batting and collect the tax from my customer.

So I have a $5 thread charge for each quilt. I will do 1 more

thread charge for free. I really have not figured out if the

$5 covers the cone and pre-wound bobbins but it is a good

start and keeps me legal with the taxman.

I charge $5 per quilt for thread. Sometimes a bit less if the quilt is really small, or if I have two small quilts to do for the same person with the same thread, I'll charge $3 per quilt. I'm a thread head -- have to have more all the time. There has to be a way to pay for that. If you're using your thread on client's quilts, they should pay you for it.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Archived