Charity Quilting

It has been a while since I posted, but I have been busy with PPP. I called my local guild to see if they still do charity quilts and they do. I offered to do them free providing they provided me the backing and batting. For me, it is a win win situation. Gives me practice and the hopes of future customers. So far, I have completed three and have the fourth one on the frame ready to go. I had a wee bit of a problem having her understand that I needed at least 6" of fabric all the way around, she was barely giving me 3" on any of the sides. Now that we got that problem solved, I can quilt away. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that. Happy Quilting everyone!

I do our guilds community service quilts, too, but impose a small fee.. which doesn't come near paying for my time.. it's still fun.

I also do the QoV and really have fun with them. Somewhere in the quilting I put the word "hero" and pray some day, someone will find it.

I really have fun with these quilts and use any stitch or pattern I'm good at.

I just baste a strip of fabric down the sides, sometimes at the bottom, when a piecer doesn't give me enough backing. I also remind them when they pick up the quilt, or when I give it to them at guild, to make the extra a bit bigger and if they don't want to use the same fabric, just baste on strips of muslin or waste fabric.

Good Luck

I use the red clamps on the sides, and machine baste the backing to the leaders. I loosely baste the top and batting to the backing once they are all on the machine. I can quilt the quilts with 3" but like Jackie said, my clamps ask for more!

Lyn

Thank you for that tip it makes great sense, I think I have some lengths of dowling left over from making roman blinds that will do very nicely.

I have had my machine a few months now and have been given 5 tops to quilt for Japan with another 2 on the way. I have 3 completed and have found them really great for PPP knowing that nobody will scrutinise too closely.

Archived