Coat Hangers for Quilts????

These are less expensive than bags and REALLY show off your work! The quilt is folded with the pretty side out and as the owner walks around guild everyone can see the pretty quilting. A cleaner plastic bag coveres the quilt. Now.....where can I buy these coat hangers? I can't seem to find them online.

A normal coat hanger is 14" across the base.

post--13461906016262_thumb.jpg

I tried putting the quilts on hangers, but the guild members didn't like it. They take the quilts off the hangers and show them at guild Show and Tell. For a large quilt, with people helping you fold up the quilt after presentation..they rarely fit back on the hangers. Most people either threw the hangers away, or gave them back to me and just took the quilts home folded over their arms.

Guest Linda S

Yes - that's how I return my quilts to my customers. I usually order them a gross (12 x 12) at a time, which makes them $.63 each, and if I add in some lint rollers, it gets my order over $100, so I get free shipping. Can't beat it with a stick.

Linda, thanks for the link. Just a thought -- you could even use a mailing label size sticker customzed with your customer's name and your business info and attach to the quilt bag. Would be easy to print an avery label on your computer.

Funny how trends work. The quilters here almost expect their quilts to be handed over on the hangers. During guild they can hang them on the edge of the table or on the back of the chair. Then they can walk around and show it (during break) to everyone without taking it off the hanger. Also, with the drapery hangers if the quilt is folded 4 times it fits perfectly with the drapery hanger. (Not on a regular hanger). Linda, I will check out your idea as well.

http://www.nortonsupply.com/Drapery-Strut-18-Hanger-p/2060.htm Here are the hangers and you have to buy a roll of the plastic that goes over them. The 75" long ones are too long, get the shorter ones. It seems to me that the hangers are a good price but the plastic is expensive.

Somthing to think about: When your customer brings you a new quilt top to quilt, have them bring you the hanger back. A lady a guild yesterday brought me everything I needed to quilt her top and brought me the hanger also.

I use the drapery hangers. My dad is a dry cleaner and I get them from him....(REALLY good discout!!) :P I just use them and the plastic cover for when I have the quilts hanging waiting to be quilted or waiting to be picked up. I might look into those bags Linda is talking about. That would be nice to send them home in if they are not too expensive! linda

I am thinking the hangers and small roll of plastic would require less space for me to store than the bags. Hmmmmm. Linda I am jealous! My business seems to have started to boom (it is time) so I need to do something!!!

Item #2518 $46.25 (250 in case)

Item #1956 32.95 (250 in case)

Item # 6012 54.75 (400 on roll)

So you'd be spending like .53 cents each time you send out a quilt. Do you think we could charge a "Packaging fee?":D We could take the fee off if they return the coat hanger with the next quilt top.

I think you would like the hanger idea! I'm glad your business is starting to boom!! Doesn't that feel good???!! I've had 3 quilts brought to me in the last 2 days!! I better get hoppin' !! Hoppin' ...get it? Easter bunny.... Easter week... hoppin' !!! Ok... I'll go now!! :D

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I am thinking the hangers and small roll of plastic would require less space for me to store than the bags. Hmmmmm. Linda I am jealous! My business seems to have started to boom (it is time) so I need to do something!!!

Item #2518 $46.25 (250 in case)

Item #1956 32.95 (250 in case)

Item # 6012 54.75 (400 on roll)

So you'd be spending like .53 cents each time you send out a quilt. Do you think we could charge a "Packaging fee?":D We could take the fee off if they return the coat hanger with the next quilt top.

Maybe you could do a "deposit/return" thing........charge a depost for the hanger when it leaves you and then offer a refund if it is brought back...... Sorta like when you buy cans/bottles of soft drinks, etc. We pay a deposit on those cans/bottles, but then can turn in the empties at a recycle center for a refund of the deposit !

Some of my customers don't want their quilts in anything plastic. I use the Virginia Longarm bags for their first quilt and I embroider my name on them, "Darlington Quilts." Nobody, so far, has brought the bag back to me to re-use, so I ordered heavy plastic bags in the same color as my VA LA bags (lime green), and put on a clear label with my business name. I got these from U-Line. I think the bags are very nice and reusable, but some of my customers have taken their quilts out of those bags and thrown them away and then stuffed their quilt in a non-woven reusable bag with someone's ad on it, like Walmart. Oh well, I really do try, but ya can't please everyone.

Archived