Legacy 80/20 Pokies

Help. I purchased Legacy 80/20 and keep getting lots of pokies, not just a few. This is the 2nd quilt. The first was a Kansas Troubles Moda Blue fabric. The quilt back now is pieced, some fabrics are having more pokies than other - but it's extensive.

I put the bumpy side up and the side that has the light scrim down. Am I upside down? :o

Thanks.

I think you are upside-down, Kathy. But you can test it by throwing a sandwich off to the side and putting the batting the other way up. Or go off to the side of your backing, cut out a rectangle of batting, turn it over, lay fabric on top and stitch. Should tell you whether it makes a difference.

I just finished quilting with legacy with 4.00, no problem, bumpy side down and liked it. Played with tension and used same color thead on top & bottom filtec & magna glide threads.

I am going to try 3.5 needle next time with Hobbs, problems with 4.00 when quilting, thanks Sylvia for the tip.

Corey

Went through 3 needles and used a magnifying glass to make sure it was really straight. Did a sandwich on the side and stitched one side, the flipped and stitched the other. Big difference. Will flip the batting next time. Put a stitched sample on my wall and wrote with a BIG SHARPIE on it. This is that kaffe fabric and it seems like it's a loose weave too. Using SoFine Thread. Plan on using the legacy on a few donation/charity quilts to see what happens next. This quilt is going to require some sweet talk with the customer.....

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm with Darlene and lean toward a burr. Something is pulling the thread to the back. Even if you are using a new needle, there still could be a burr....sometimes they are made that way as they aren't perfect when mass produced.

I rarely pay attention to right or wrong side I just throw it on, and have only had pokeys once or twice in all the years and it was due to a tiny tiny burr at the tip. Ran the needle through a needle sharpener (strawberry) and all was great.

You just need the dryer warm enough to make a but of humidity- that's what the damp towel is for- On my poor old dryer that is medium, but is probably low on something not a zillion years old.

I forgot to mention- I only do this after the quilt is trimmed. If there is un-quilted batting on the edges you may have batting fuzz everywhere.

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

I think she means batting pokies, not thread pokies?? Quilter's Dream says pokies down, dimples up. I put all my batting in that way, even the Legacy and Hobbs; and no problems.

That's what's I was referring to. Batting pokies, the thread is what is bringing the batting through. If there is a burr on the needle it's bringing the batting with the thread and you have batting showing out of the hole.

Archived