How do you frog/.

Well something went wrong when I started this post, it was sent before I finished it!!!

It was interesting reading the other post about clamping backing and/or batting, and as I've just frogged some feathers that I accidentally stitches flowing in the opposite direction to what I SHOULD have done, it got me wondering how others do their frogging.

My method? I pull up the top thread and hang onto it with tweezers if tiny, fingers if a bit longer, then pull up the bobbin threads and snip carefully at the base to cut them. I continue in this fashion,pull , snip, pull, snip and it's quite quick. If I can't find the end of the top thread, I gently lift a stitch on a pin and snip it to start the process off. I think this method is because I was a nurse for a long time and having scissors and tweezers ( forceps) in hands remind me of doing dressings and taking sutures out!!!!

I use the same method but I'm wondering what you use for tweezers? I have several "thread tweezers" from Clover. They will really grip those short threads but they are a little stiff. For some reason trying to grip and hold short threads is hard for me to do. After ripping for alterations (another money making hobby at this time which I hope to eliminate Yuk hate it) I use the thread tweezer to pull out all the threads. I love Clover products. Their rippers are the greatest. Stay sharp and no rough spots. Have to order online...all the stores around here carry mostly Dritz - not my favorite line of sewing supplies.

Now if I could just eliminate all ripping and frogging from my life;)

I usually use what seems to be the normal way, pull and snip, unless as Bonnie said, it is a large area, then I skin, and I'm doing that on some backwards feathers, myself. Not fun, either way. If I get chocolate, my hands wouldn't be pulling threads. As for the wine, 2 oz puts me solidly under the table. LOL, I look as silly as that sounds, too. ROFL

Guest Linda S

If I have a large area (say like a block) to frog, I'll take my seam ripper and break the stitch about every 5", pull out a couple of threads to each side of the cut stitch. Then, I reach under the quilt and find the loops of bobbin thread this will create. I grab hold of them and RRRRIIIIIPPPPPPPP! Makes all the treads on the top pop right off. No time to sit and pick at each stitch -- time is money!

Well, I do a lot of "whining" while I am frogging.... and after I'm done I need a glass of wine! :D

Seriosuly though... if it's just a little frogging and I want to keep my tails long (like if I need to tie off the ends), I use my dental pick thingy to get up underneath the top stitches and pull. This pulls out a few stitches at a time and then I can tie off.

If it's a lot of frogging, like a huge area, I do like Bonnie and skin. Or I snip & tug, snip & tug... like the others do.

Archived