Curved cross-hatch

Oh my gosh Sylvia, I was just down stairs on Lenni trying to figure out the same thing. I have Deloa's Boomerang, but I just stood there and went :o. I always feel very slow compared to others and I am one not to ask! I am so glad that you were brave enough!!!! Thanks for reading my mind Sylvia!

I have Deloa's boomerang - well 2 of them. I have been thinking of the CL template as well...Karen, I am glad there are other quilters in the world like me!!! The thing I find difficult is there are no corners to hatch from. If I were doing straight hatching I'd go from corner to corner across, right? Well, it doesn't seem to work like that when it is curved. Perhaps it is just me........

I think I will try what Rebecca recommended, try it on paper first, I quess just like practicing feathers!! And watch Deloa's video a hundred times.And Sylvia its not just you there are times when things click and times when I think what the heck!!:D By the way Sylvia how is Missy?? Are you glad you stepped up to the Freedom? I won't get my Freedom until the end of May, when APQS does a road show to Albany, New York. Very very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, Rebecca that is extremely nice of you!! I am determined to get good enough to maybe take in some quilts in the future, for now PPP and my own quilts are all I can handle. In the mean time I will just drool over everyone's beautiful quilts:)

Thank you Sylvia!! I feel like such an idiot with curved CH right now. I am doing (or trying to) curved cross hatching on a quilt for someone in the family. I have Deloas boomerang and watched the videos and even bought the new book by Karen McTavish. I drew them out and they aren't coming out right on the quilt:o I will keep trying and sooner or later it will click. thankfully this is a quilt for someone in the family and I'm not ripping everything out. Karen and Ronda made it look sooooo easy in their video

The thing that stuck with me from the Karen & Ronda DVD was Ronda saying just match the marks on the sides and don't worry about the "belly" of the curve. I have been using Deloa's boomerang (fresh from MQX) and it is lining up right with the etched lines (to my amazement) it's not perfect but it looks good from a galloping horse!

Sylvia and Karen,

I am soooo not perfect at curved crosshatching, or anything for that matter. But somehow, imperfections look great in the grand scheme of things. Don't agonize over being exact. Just look at the videos and do it. I'm tellin' you, you will be very happy with the end result. It's funny....I agonize over my mistakes and baubles while I'm working on a quilt. I try not to, but I do....and then, something magical happens when I take it off the frame and see it as a whole quilt. Sometimes I have a hard time finding those "mistakes" that I thought were so huge. :) Perfection is over-rated anyway.

Jess

I'm with you Sylvia.......I have Rhonda's rulers and watched all those videos. They make it look so easy. I did some cch on black ,but it was with black thread and did not show my boo boos. :) I am working on a batik quilt now and trying cch on yellow.........every little bobble and uneven space shows up. :( I just today got the cch board from R&S but haven't tried that yet.

No! No! No! Ardelle ..... get those boomerangs out and practice on paper before you know it you will have the confidence , then put practice fabric on the frame trace a stencil or draw a block, mark your cross hatching, then quilt. You will be amazed at what you can do.... go for it.

Wow, I was thinking the same thing. Rebecca, your cross hatching looks perfect to me!!Thanks for posting Deloa's you tube video. I just added it to my favorites. I have one of them and am also clueless on how to use it. I go to these shows and if they demonstrate it well, I'll buy:D:D:D. Then I get home and go WHAAAAAT:o:o:o:o

Sylvia thank you for asking this I am with you I have tried Deloas boomerangs and wow somehow it doesn't look anything like crosshatch LOL. I need instructions I can study.

I am a type of person I have to see it in front of me. I wish I had the ability like Shana to think outside the block!!!Rebecca that quilting is so pretty.

Well, I am glad I posted this as well! I use the boomerangs all the time - all the time - just not for CHing. I use them to make pickle dishes and such. I practiced a bit last night I need to practice on Missy. Rebecca, your CHing is beautiful! Are those Scotties? You know how I love animals!!!

Archived