Who Washes their Batting Prior to Quilting?

Never have. I have fluffed it in the dryer when it comes out of the package all crumpled up.

I like the affect shrinkage has on my quilt top personally.

I suppose you could but if so if you haven't washed the quilt fabric you will still have the shrinkage affect in the completed quilt.

If a customer wanted this I would request they do it.

I use a clothes steamer when I get things out of the package...it not only takes out the wrinkles, but it fluffs up the batting like it was dried in a dryer. Some of the Hobbs 80/20 packaged stuff has a real sticky feel to it, and this takes that out and makes it soft.

I ask my customers first if the fabric in the top was pre-washed and then find out what look they want in the finished product. Some like that vintage crinkled look and then I don't worry about the batting. However, if it is a contemporary design or they don't want crinkles, we do discuss the possible shrinkage of the batting.

The shrink percent is listed on the package and I explain how much their quilted top may shrink up after washing. Warm and Natural can shrink 3% which is a whopping 3" on a 100" long top and this is on top of the "shrinkage" caused by the quilting. I give a heads-up to offset any issues after the fact.

Also, I have no problem washing the batting for my customers. I fully immerse in the washing machine and spin without agitating. Then it goes in the dryer on medium heat until dry.

I have measured batting before and after this procedure and there is noticable shrink, but never as much as they say on the package.

So I guess it's best to educate customers so they can make informed choices. BTW, I've only washed maybe three battings so far in a year and a half of business. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Olympia Wa.

Linda, do you measure the batting BEFORE you wash also? I have noticed MOST packaged batting will say " Queen 90X108" and I think that means that is the top size it will accomodate, but the batting is actually 94X112-ish. So if I preshrink that size I will loose at least 4-5 inches. But I will not do it unless someone asks about it. Most that find it important, pre-shrink before they give it to me. Warm and Natural seems the "shrinkiest" The 90" width usually becomes 85-86"

Hi Bonnie,

I finally bought a clothes steamer and like the way it works on my clothes when they are hanging. I liked the results on a piece of muslin, too, but my steamer doesn't like going horizontally. How do you steam the batting? Do you have it flat?

Teri

Teri,

I drape it over the rollers and steam the vertically material, down as far as I can reach and then move it to the next spot....I do this before I attach any quilts fabrics...its just me and the batting at this point.

If that doesn't work for you...drape it over the shower rod and steam it there.

Hope this helps.

Guest Linda S

No way, no how am I shrinking anyone's batting for them, including my own! :D Quilter's Dream has several different types of batt with little to no shrinkage. I'd buy the appropriate batt and forget about trying to shrink it.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I personally don't like the shrink look, so I either use batting that doesn't shrink, or preshrink for my own quilts. Warm and White hardly shrinks at all because it has gone through more processing that Warm and Natural. It shouldn't need anything.

I really like the softness of Hobb's 80/20. I have measured before and after washing. I have found that this product shrinks a lot in width and elongates after being washed in warm and dried on medium. I would be interested in what someone else might find.

The poly's don't shrink.

How about the new Quilters' Dream 50/50? I have heard that this is great batting-shows dimension.

I'm with Linda S on this. If someone wants their batting pre-shrunk then its up to them to do it. With my luck it would probably be in shreds when I took it out of the washer! I do spritz them and toss them in the dryer on low or medium to fluff them and take the wrinkles out.

Phyllis Hughes

Liberty

OKC

I'm with Linda S and Phyllis NO WAY AM I going to wash a clients batting , I have come to the point that I may not even offer batting to my clients they may buy it and bring it to me ......

I am going to try just once pre-washing one for myself just to see what happens .

I like the look of quilts after they have been washed , I have one client who goes nuts when I talk about washing my quilts once a year , even the ones I have hand quilted . She is really a no-wash quilt girl . So just for fun I call here on the phone to let her know which quilt I am washing .LOL :D

Joy, Quilters dream has a website they have very nice batting , it is also the most expensive on the market . Hope you can buy whole sale . If you can't find them on the web email me I will send the information to you .

I don't wash my batting, but I do let it sit in very-warm water for about 1/2 hour, then hand squeeze out the excess, put in washer on spin cycle, then put in the dryer. I figure that if it is going to shrink, I want it to shrink before it goes into a quilt, unless of course you want that antique look. I have not quilted anyone elses quilt though, and I always preshrink my fabrics before they go into my sewing room.

Janet

Janet, I'm gonna try what you just suggested with soaking the batting. And you also mentioned preshrinking fabrics. It's funny because some people say always pre-wash fabric and others say don't do it. I guess it's one of those things that there is more than one way to do something;)

Gable

Never - never - never! Why? I agree, get the right batting. I also refuse to

use big batts of Hobbs 80/20 from Joanns - I carry the good stuff and those

packages come out so stretched out of shape - no thanks! I have batting

on rolls - lays nice and flat!!

Archived