Machine Speed for Applique'

For several years after I started longarming, I had the stitch regulator on for everything. Then Karen McTavish made me take the plunge into non-SR during a workshop with her, and I discovered the smoothness and freedom of non-SR, which wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. I began using non-SR for feathers, pebbles and other designs which I knew well and were repeating; however, I continued with SR for applique' since it is critical that the SID be properly placed in the ditch.

That has changed with the quilt I'm currently doing. The applique' on this one is especially nice and I became frustrated with how the machine jumps in SR mode; I've switch to a very low non-SR speed (9 on Millie) and I love it! No jumping and I just push the clutch in if I need to stop and figure out what direction to go next. I'm wondering what machine settings the rest of you have found works best for applique'?

I noticed on Myrna's DVDs that she would takie the machine out of SR mode to do little circles or other small work because it worked better. I tried it the other day to do some small stipple, and it did work smoother. I want to give it a try on feathers, too. She did use SR when doing those.

Hmm, I never tried that. Can't wait to get some quilting time on Friday to try it out. First, I have to do a check up. Needle is hitting something and breaking. Luckily this happened just as I was finishing for the day. It can wait til Friday.

Guest Linda S

My guess is you don't have M&M Wheels either. Now that I have them, there isn't much difference between SR and non-SR mode. Smooth, smooth, smooth -- either way!

Archived