Thread Tension Issues STILL

HELP!!!!! I still have issues but I think I know what my problem is. My bobbin tension is OK but when I put the bobbin into my Milli it doesn't pull up smoothly, it is really tight. Do I need to adjust something in my machine? I have cleaned it and oiled it and tried my other bobbin holder but to no avail.

Jim I do have a TOWA and really like it. I also have the Superior top tension guide but seem to have problems with it. Maybe because I have only had them for a short time.

Thanks Bekah, I think that I will look into the Magna Glides. I have problems with my winder when I want to use the Bottom Line thread in my bobbin.

Lib

Guest Linda S

Have you thoroughly cleaned out the area where the bobbin case goes? Get down there with a light and watch it as you turn the flywheel (without any thread in the needle). Sometimes a bit of thread can break off and get stuck in the works, and then it messes everything up. How many quilts have you done? You might need to take your base plate off and clean under it. You can get a lot of lint built up under there that can gum up the works.

Lib: What tension reading are you getting on the TOWA? If it's high you probably need to loosen the tension. You know how don't you? If loosening the bobbin tension with the screw on the bobbin case does not change the reading on the TOWA, check and see if there is lint under the tension spring. Linda's suggestion is good. Remove the needle plate, clean out the lint, and look for any foreign material around the hook. Let us know how it goes. Good luck. Jim

Good morning all, or maybe I should leave the "good" out.

I have cleaned and oiled and checked for threads. I have two bobbin cases and tried both. The tension reading for my TOWA is just over 2.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG. What I did do was put in one of my older wound bobbins and it worked fine, so I decided I would try using a heavier cotton thread , # 40 and it seems to be OK. If I use Superior Bottom Line it checks out fine with my TOWA but as soon as I put it in my machine it will not pull up through the machine at all. You have to really pull. I am just beside myself and can't figure out what my problem is. The only solution I can come up with is it the actual bobbin winder. I use the one on my Milli. Somehow though, that doesn't make sense to me.

Lib

Lib,

This will sound really silly, but sometimes I have a similar problem... fine tension test and then hard to pull when bringing the thread up. I use Bottom Line almost all the time- top and bobbin. When it happens, usually the thread has some how gotten caught on the latch part of the bobbin case...you know the little handle that you use to remove the bobbin case. I don't know if it is the thinner thread or static or what. When it happens, I make a point of holding the thread tail between my pinkie and ring finger as I'm inserting the bobbin case.

Thanks Leslie. I have checked both my bobbin cases and even taken out the little springy things in the bottom. Everything looks fine. I have no idea what my problem and seem to keep coming back to the actual bobbin winder. I am getting so frustrated.

Lib

Hi Lib,

When you put your bobbin and case into the bobbin assembly under your machine---I know this may seem simple (but, I do it sometime)----is the bobbin thread hanging "loosely".

I ask because sometimes as I'm holding the bobbin case with the little "bobbin case lever" on the case open and inserting it, the bobbin thread gets moved or gets under that little lever and I don't realize it, until I bring up the bobbin thread and it pulls really hard.

Check to see if this is happening---

Also check to see that your little thread guide spring on the bobbin case does not have lint under it. I use a plastic dental pic to clean under it. I'm sometimes surprised there is lint under there that I don't see just looking at the case.

I like my self wound bobbins of Bottom Line to be between 160-180 on my Towa. This is even if they are very loose from being wound on my featherwight or tight from the Turbo Winder. (my turbo winder is dead and I am winding on my featherweight at this time).

I would loosen off the tension on the bobbin. When putting the bobbin case back into the Millenium remember not to hold onto the outside lever of the bobbin case. Just push in until it clicks.

Lyn

Archived