China pictures!

Most of you know that I just recently had the opportunity to go to China. My friend Holly and I jumped at the chance to go with a group of 82 others from McCalls Quilting. It was truly a chance of a lifetime to see the sites and experiance the culture. We went to so many places and I took allot of pictures. I just finished editing them and adding text. I know that the spelling is horrendous but some of the pictures are great if you care to have a cuppa tea and have a peek. There are many, so keep the kettle on. Enjoy the show!

http://photoshow.comcast.net/sewfarsewgood

Awesome Sherry!

Another world for sure~ special, beautiful, unique, amazing!

I think it is great that you were able to experience the mid-East! Love the pics!!

So tell me what was the strangest thing on the menu or dare I ask, ate?;):P

The strangest thing on the Menu? Hmmm, it was ALL strange! I had a tough time getting past the heads that were still attached! The soups were pretty weird as well, I am sure they tasted great but they seemed to be rather glutinious and I just wasnt jellin with any of that! Holly and I ate allot of rice at meals and soon realized that our breakfast at the hotel was our only saving grace. Sew, we loaded up each morning with a pound of bacon, waffles, fresh fruit and coffee!

Not sure where all these pimples came from!! :P

What an amazing photo show....What an amazing vacation....places that I would love to see.....someday! I was a senior in high school when they found the terra cotta soldiers. I had forgotten that?

What was the signifiance of the birds head on your pillow? I too would have lost a ton of weight on this trip...snakes, fish, rats on a stick....nope don't think so.

Amazing picitures Sherry. China is such an interesting place. Our DS and DIL adopted a little girl from a northern provence a year and 1/2 ago and spent some time in and around Bejing. They have submitted paper work for daughter #2 and will be going back in about 9 or 10 months from now. They stayed in a hotel that was geared for Americans so had a more familuar menu to choose from. I'm with Bonnie on the food thing. If I couldn't recognize it :o, I don't think I would want to eat it. What a neat experience for you.

Sherry,

Thank you for the little vacation and for sharing a view of the world that I'd never get to see first hand. Now I need to research a few things like the stone soldiers. What I would like to know is how you arrange to get so many extraordinary quilts done and take what must have been a long trip as well.

Grateful for a glimpse of the other corners of the world. Sue

Sherry, your pictures were great. I sat and watched the entire show. How long were you in China? I have always loved to travel and I have been to Japan, Hong Kong, Bangkok, and Singapore, but not China. Oh, I can only hope to be able to get there some day!

I have always wondered about the trips advertised in the quilting magazines. Are there many classes or is most of the trip sightseeing. My husband has no desire to take one of these trips. I guess I'll have to find a quilting friend and go with her. I envy you your travels.:)

Sherry....

Thank you soooo much for sharing your fantastic pictures. You captured so much of everyday life along with all the great scenic pictures. It took me back to the days when we were stationed in Okinawa and went to Taiwan. I love the way the pictures are displayed. Need to check into this.

Question....was this the same tour that was advertised in quilting magazines, or a different one? It's always been a dream of mine to go to China. Problem is, I want to go to the old China. Ha.

You guys looked like you had a ball. I loved the last ones where you were at the lady's home. That water heater brought back lots of memories. To me it seemed like such a better system than ours.

Thanks again for sharing. I intend to go back several times and look at them.:)

Hi Bonnie

That head was part of our meal, evidentally it is customary that the head of the family eat it which is supossed to be quite an honor! My traveling partner distracted me from from the table, swooped up that head and carried it in her purse the rest of the day knowing full well she would torture me with it at the end of the day. Not only was I shocked and appalled upon seeing it laying on my pillow but she had to bring 2 of our table mates with us under a rouse to witness my reaction! Needless to say, she was quite pleased with herself!

Wish I would have kept it for retaliation!

Originally posted by Bonnie

What was the signifiance of the birds head on your pillow?

Go for it Sue!

This trip was sponsored by McCall's Quilting and arranged by Sew Many Places. Holly saw the ad in the magazine almost a year ago, called me and we both jumped at the chance to go. Truthfully it was by no stretch of the imagination a quilting adventure though. Although Kaye England was the featured teacher for the trip we only had about a 4 hour lecture with her.

McCall's already has this trip planned for next year with Kaye and you should see it advertised soon. I would indeed recommend the trip to anyone that wants to see all the history of Beijing but know in advance that it is jam packed with activities that require you to be on your feet all day! Exhausting and exhilarating at the same time!

Originally posted by SueinScottsdale

I have always wondered about the trips advertised in the quilting magazines. Are there many classes or is most of the trip sightseeing. My husband has no desire to take one of these trips. I guess I'll have to find a quilting friend and go with her. I envy you your travels.:)

Sherry,

What a stink Holly was :P.... Doesn't she realize that paybacks have no statute...they will and can be paid back at anytime deemed fit by the first party (that be you).

And, Sherry you can borrow a page from my dear Papa....in our family we don't get even WE get ahead.:D

Guest Linda S

How wonderful Sherry! I only got part-way through on my lunch hour, but will definitely be back to finish up this evening. Great pictures.

Linda

Not to worry...I will definetly get aHEAD (pun intended) LOL

Originally posted by Bonnie

Sherry,

What a stink Holly was :P.... Doesn't she realize that paybacks have no statute...they will and can be paid back at anytime deemed fit by the first party (that be you).

And, Sherry you can borrow a page from my dear Papa....in our family we don't get even WE get ahead.:D

Glad you had fun. I went for two weeks with my husband a few years ago. It was about a week too long for me. Perhaps it was because he was working during the day and I was left alone and I'm not the adventurous type to go out on my own. Part of the time we spent in Hong Kong and part of the time in China. The difference between the two places was striking.

Oh I sooo understand! Heck, just crossing the street is a challange to say nothing of being tackled for a street sale! It most certainly was an adventure though!

When you say the difference was striking, what do you mean? Was Hong Kong more mellow? Or was the opposite?

Originally posted by JAB

Glad you had fun. I went for two weeks with my husband a few years ago. It was about a week too long for me. Perhaps it was because he was working during the day and I was left alone and I'm not the adventurous type to go out on my own. Part of the time we spent in Hong Kong and part of the time in China. The difference between the two places was striking.

Hong Kong was more Western, like a dirty New York...well kinda. Hong Kong, as you probably know, use to be a British colony. Perhaps that is why it had the feel of a western city.

When we were in China (I can't remember the name of the city), where my husbands work has their manufacturing plant, we had to stay at the plant. They had guards outside of the plant, it was very eerie. Everyone that works there (except for the higher ups) live in the plant. They have dorms and more women work there than men. We were there over the Chinese New Year, let me tell you that was an experience.

You would see a manufacturing plant (which really stood out and looked odd) with a rice patty field next to it. China just seemed more third world than Hong Kong. The way they drove scared me to death. They would go off the road to get around other cars and almost hit people on bikes. Perhaps it was just the area I got to see, we drove back and forth from the plant several times and all I saw was depressing on the china side. Perhaps if I went to a different city in China it wouldn't have seemed so "third world". Also my husband has told me over the last few years the city the manufacturing plant is in has gotten a lot nicer and they actually have a nice hotel there.

My favorite part of the trip was when we went to Macau. The food was wonderful and the buildings were beautiful. It use to be a colony of Portugal until 1999 I believe. Their buildings and cuisine both have a Portuguese flair.

*edited to add: I just had the time to watch your trip to China slideshow. I see you went to Beijing, the pictures are beautiful. Beijing is very modern, the place I visited was primitive compared to Beijing. I didn't get to watch it until the part you told us what the silk worms are used for, I would really like to know what they do with them after they are done with them.

Originally posted by SherryRogers

Oh I sooo understand! Heck, just crossing the street is a challange to say nothing of being tackled for a street sale! It most certainly was an adventure though!

When you say the difference was striking, what do you mean? Was Hong Kong more mellow? Or was the opposite?

Archived