Share Your Quilting Room

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Janette,

Oh, a little log cabin for a quilt room! I can picture it now with a little wood stove in the corner with a teapot on it for tea, the smell of fresh wood construction, the colors of the fabrics and threads... and the ribbons on the wall. Is a log cabin unusual to see in UK?

Originally posted by LaurieG

I see alot of you have the front of the machine facing out from the wall and the back of the machine toward the wall. Is this because you mostly work from the back of the machine?

I have the front of the machine facing the wall, so the wall is at my back when I work. I like it this way so I can see what is going on in front of me!

Just curious.....

Used to be everyone did pantographs and you worked from the back side of the machine using a pointer or a laser. You never watched the needle. I never did pantographs...even from the very start (mid 1980's) I always did SID so I needed to see the needle, therefore I stood at that side which I called the front. No matter which way you stand or what you call front or back you still need room to walk along the front and the back. Also, when I made my choice as to which way to face it I knew I wanted the motor against the wall so I wasn't constantly bumping into it and fussing with the cords and I wanted the extra room towards the middle of the room for putting the quilt on and off the machine. So many reasons for the decisions we make.

Guest Linda S

Here is a picture of my studio when it was first finished and my Liberty set up. I daren't show you a picture of it now, because you can barely walk around the quilting frame for all the batting, fabric, thread, books, and JUNK! It needs a thorough cleaning!

Eowyn2.jpg

Originally posted by sharni

Janette,

Oh, a little log cabin for a quilt room! I can picture it now with a little wood stove in the corner with a teapot on it for tea, the smell of fresh wood construction, the colors of the fabrics and threads... and the ribbons on the wall. Is a log cabin unusual to see in UK?

Yes it was my dream for a while - and maybe one day in the future, but not just now. They are reasonably common in the UK and some people use them as an extension of their house for office work or other hobbies etc like me. I know a few quilters who have them.

Here is another one, I have the whole upstairs, library in one room, then my milly then my sewing room.

I have the plastic boxes under Gert the Flirt, and slim cabinet for just books and CD's on quilting, special thread, and a few collection quilting angels.

post--1346190618427_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by LaurieG

I see alot of you have the front of the machine facing out from the wall and the back of the machine toward the wall. Is this because you mostly work from the back of the machine?

I have the front of the machine facing the wall, so the wall is at my back when I work. I like it this way so I can see what is going on in front of me!

Just curious.....

Laurie,

Like you,,, I also have my machine so the "back" (pantograph side) is facing out toward the center of the room. I like it this way because I have space in the center of the room to fluff out and load my quilt backer and top onto the rollers. Loading the quilt top & back works very well this way. I like having the "front" (needle side) of the machine facing toward the wall so when working from the front I can see out into the room. And the sun is at my back behind me.

I have a table along the wall (where the windows are) so when working from the front, I can set all of my rulers, tools, thread, books, and stuff I need. All I have to do is turn around and it's right there behind me. All of my threads are stored in bins with drawers that fit under that table. Handy dandy!

Here is a pic to show you what I mean.

post--13461906184502_thumb.jpg

Laurie,

Good question.

I work from the front (freehand) side almost exclusively. The only exception is when using a pattern board. I have my machine so that when working from the front I can see out the window when I look up. No other reason really. I think if I just had a wall on the backside I would have preferred the machine the other way around.

When I first read the title of this post, I misunderstood big time! I thought the question was being asked if we were SHARING our sewing/quilting rooms!!! That's because I am!!! My 31yr old son is 'home' temporarily whilst he had two operations on his leg ( nasty ulcer after a spider bite 5 years ago) The only place we could put him was in my quilting room - thankfully it is large, although I have removed my horn quilting cabinet ( I will never quilt a large quilt again on my DSM, so have decided to sell it), and also a trestle table I use for squaring up quilts. That has given enough room to put a single bed in and a TV. He spent 5 weeks in hospital and almost 4 weeks at home on mostly bedrest.

So I quilt, he reads, does crosswords ( asks me for answers sometimes!) , listens to music and plays some computer games. It's been rather nice in an odd sort of way! The good news is that his leg is doing well and he's on the way to a full recovery. We are so thankful!

As for me posting pictures of my quilting room - that will have to wait, it's REALLY untidy!

I have the front of my machine toward the wall as when I finally get to doing custom I can have the lake view to look up at once in a while. I figue when doing a panto you really don't look up a whole heck of a lot. Oh, I finally did custom around one applique block on my quilt I'm going to show at our guild show this weekend...I'll put it a picture on a new post! I actually outlined the applique and I even McTavished!! (well my version of it anyway)

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Aaaah! IF only I had a lake view, or even a mountain view, instead of a tiny back yard in the city.

There are very easy fixes for that. I was going to paint a mural on my dining room wall then I tore my rotator cuff and that was out of the question.

I thought I would hire someone to paint it for me...pretty expensive (a couple of thousand dollars).

Then I thought I would buy a mural that you put on the wall like wall paper...still pretty expensive (over $800).

Then I shopped online until I found this one. It's 8 panels...goes up like wallpaper only easier and cost under $100. It's beautiful and I get so many compliments on it. It looks handpainted. The colors are beautiful.

I can sit at the table to eat and think I'm sitting in Italy somewhere.

post--13461906240785_thumb.jpg

I have a granny flat next to the house. It's a 1 bdrm 700 s. ft. house. It would be better for classes if it were one big room, but I'm not complaining. Works for me and I look out and see wild turkeys and deer all the time. I have my millie in the "living room" and my sewing machines, cutting table in the bedroom. Full kitchen and bathroom, so I don't have to leave except to join the family.:D

Studio5.jpg[/img]

Studio3.jpg[/img]

Archived