HELP!~noob question

Ok, maybe I went about this bass-ackward, but ...

Here's the question:

What do you do when you design a pattern for a big space, and it is too big to do continuous line within the available throat space?

Here's the situation:

I 'acquired' my niece's quilt top that is a RUSH RUSH job~ So, I haven't had time to 'percolate' ideas like I normally do. (I hate that!)

It's a Lone Star top and the setting squares in the corners and the triangles are HUGE. I cut a similar sized piece of paper, folded it diagonally into the setting triangle shape, & did a fast drawing of a design from one of the fabrics, kind of a swirly, paisley, bump-bump thing. Then, based on that triangle drawing, I traced it and 'unfolded' the design into the rest of the paper to fill the square. so, it's the triangle, rotated x 4 to fill the square. Clear as mud?

The problem is, the design crosses the big square diagonally, wider than I can quilt on this machine, and I am not sure how to accommodate that? Has anyone else got any ideas for a Lone Star? what does one do in the pointy parts?

Oh, did I mention, the quilt is for a raffle? I think it really needs to be more than stippling, just because.

oh, did I also mention she did TWO of them, one for herself, and I got THAT one, too? !

s

Yeah, what you do is you load it on the frame as you always would. Then you take a bizillion pins (I use the corsage pins) and you start at the top and pin baste every 5 inches. Roll, pin every 5 inches, repeat repeat repeat until you get to the end. Then you unpin the bottom of your top from the leader, and pin baste the bottom edge to to the batting and backing so now=== basically now you have the entire quilt pin basted together on your rollers. Now your top roller you leave alone because it doesn't have anything on it and now you roll back and forth and quilt the thing (only remove the pins where you are quilting) leave the other pins there until you quilt that area.

That's how I do it.

I'm probably totally off track, but . . . after pin basting as Shana said, and when you want to continue an intricate design without a stop, you can very, very carefully . . . really carefully . . stop with the need down, release the break and the side clamps, and very carefully (have I stressed the careful part enough) and slowly advance your quilt, brake, re-apply side clamps and continue. The whole time remembering that the needle is in the fabric, so any jerks or tugs will only lead to tears (either pronunciation applies).

g

Thanks! Y'all are great, AND fast!

I 'get' the pin basting concept....

...tho~ I'm not certain that this particular quilt is going to get that much effort! lol! :P

Because I'm tired and brain dead tonight, and don't want to screw it up, I just doodled around with the same design. I cut a new paper square and aligned it on 1/2 the square at a time. If I draw it right, I will have a bit of space that will overlap where I can, hopefully, fudge it a bit and fill any little voids, while still filling up that HUGE plain space. (why couldn't this have been a nice print instead of a HUGE solid?!) I can do the top half, roll it, then work in around the other parts.

I may still use the other drawing in the side triangles, because it fits nicely. Maybe it'll be ok if I use some different elements in the different parts of the quilt. I'm still clueless what to do IN the star , tho.

Guest Linda S

I do my basting as stitch in the ditch with invisible thread. I'm allergic to pins - they make my fingers bleed. I did a quilt that had 16" circles on it (used my Circle Lord) but I only have 11-12" quilting space. As Heidi said, I stopped with my needle down, rolled, and completed the arc.

well, the quilt is done, such that it is, and it's off the machine. I still need to trim it, bind it and get some pics.

WHEW.

Thank Goodness for fluffy batting.

It was a nightmare...the top is VERY light pink, and the backing is a 'fire' colored batik...bright oranges, pinks and reds, with a dark varigated thread that poked it's nasty little head out all over the place. There just was nothing to be done about that thread...I adjusted til it was not stitching well, and that didn't work, so I turned it back and left the pokies.

I haven't a clue how y'all do these quilts for other people all the time. I'm quite overwhelmed! lol!

I think I need that "Margarita Therapy"...does that apply to other things besides stung fingers? like~~quilter's brain drain? :D

I'm glad you asked about this as I currently have a quilt on the frame that all the spaces I want to quilt are just to big for the space I have to quilt it in. Plus everytime I try to put a ruler up it hits one of the darn bars and I can't place it where I want too. Sooo frustrating. I am doing the rolling back and forth, I hate it and I'm having other issues too. Lucky for me it's for a family member who won't care that it's not perfect quilting and will love it for the quilt.

Archived