T-shirt quilt questions answered

JustSewSimple

There are always questions about what to or what not to quilt over - Layers. Here is a signature that was made into a pocket and then layed over the quilt and stitched down. When quilting I just quilted along and ignored the thick area here. I don't quilt really fast -ever so perhaps that is why I never have a problem here. I did use a panto.

post--13461906187976_thumb.jpg

This picture is of the rubber numbers on a football jersey. I make no allowances for these. I just quilt. PS on this one.....I also quilt right through those really thick and stiff football numbers like are on the back of a football jacket. No problem. I always use either Metro thread or Maxilock and a 3.5 needle. I posted these so new T-shirt quilters won't be afraid they will ruin either their machines or the quilt. Blessings.

post--13461906188318_thumb.jpg

I have a t-shirt quilt on the frame today. Some of the t-shirts have little studs and beads so I am doing a freehand meander so I can avoid those. It's for my customer's father using her mother's t-shirts. She died 2 years ago so this will be a precious gift to him.

Mary, yes, I do stabolize with medium to light pellon iron-on interfacing.

Step 1 - cut Ts appart at the sides and shoulders

Step 2 - Cut interfacing around 17X17 One for each T

Step 3. Turn shirt with good side down and iron on interfacing using a rather cool iron'

Step 4. Using a 15.5X15.5 clear square (I got city glass to cut this for me for $5.00) square up Ts

Step 5. Lay out on bed in the order I like. - dark against light and such.

Step 6. Lay fabric on each T until I am pleased with arrangement.

Step 7. Cut strips for each T and stitch on.

Step 8. stitch columns of Ts together then stitch columns together to form quilt top.

Step 9. Quilt

• 1 year later...

Sylvia, what stabilizer do you use? I need to buy another bolt of it this weekend, so thought I'd ask you. Previously I have only used Pellon SF101. This is now $4.99 per yard, but I use my JoAnn's coupon to make it less. What do you usually pay and where do you purchase it?

Another question. Do you use a "regular" iron, or do you have a press? If you use a press, what are the details?

Thanks,

Sandy

Thank you, Sylvia! This has been very helpful to me. I have made several t-shirt quiilts already using trial and error. Your tips and step-by-step directions will make the next ones I do much easier. I also like your borders around the blocks. They really add an extra colorful element to the quilt.

I buy my stabilizer at Hobby Lobby by the bolt and get the medium weight for 2.99 with 40% off that price. That is thick a plenty for this job! All you want it to do is keep it from stretching until you get it quilted. After quilting the threads will nail er down. I finished one yesterday and took it to its Mother and I am about 1/2 done with another top today. This one is a bit different than the others I have done and very interesting as I have to "think" about it. I still charge $450 for one but am thinking of going up due to cost of supplies.

I use a regular old iron without steam to fuse the interfacing and then use steam on the cotton. Nothing fancy for me.

I am glad you guys like my scrappy look but the fastest ones use all the same fabric - those are not nearly as exciting!

Ann, that is a great use of the painter's tape. I keep lots on hand but would have never thought of that! Thanks!!!

Thanks, Sylvia. I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me, but maybe the same product is sold in JoAnn's. When you have a moment back in your studio, could you check the name of it for me, or whatever info would help me find it at a store near me? TIA

Also, $450 a quilt. I'm not charging enough!!! Of course, I knew that already as the hours fly by and I am making peanuts. I really have to address my issues. :) For some reason I am afraid to charge what I am worth (I guess because others may not think I am worth it). Does that sound like the typical reason we (well, some of us) don't charge enough?

Your quilts always look terrific, so thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Sandra, I just can not give my work away! I feel like my quilts are well made and I sure pay big bucks for the fabric and batting and machine and such!!! The end of the bolt says: Pellon Fusible Interfacing. For sheer to lightweight fabrics. # 906F $1.99 yard. I find that the $.99 is way to thin. The more expensive fusible is too thick and this (Baby Bear) is just right! Sandra, you are worth it! If customers don't want to pay it, then I can work on my own stuff and still smile!

Thanks, Sylvia. I wrote that info down, as I think JoAnn's carries that and I will go there as soon as I get my next 40% or 50% off coupon. Yippee. You just saved me a bunch of money. I was afraid to try the less costly products because I was concerned about the quality on the tee shirt quilts, but you do such a beautiful, professional job, that I am confident after getting your recommendation for it. I will definately buy it next.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Regarding the use of painters tape, do you have any problem, or trick to removing it after stitching over it? Does pulling it off affect your stitches?

It sounds like a great idea if it doesn't cause another issue.

No problems, as you can see, the stitches perforate the tape nicely, it pulls off very easily and cleanly. I have not had any problem with it affecting the stitching. I use painter's tape for lots and lots of things in my studio!

This post came at the perfect time. I had a customer ask me today if I could do a t-shirt quilt and I said that I had not made one yet but that I would be happy to do one for her. I told her that I knew how to make one just had not done any yet. I now have the knowledge all I need is her son's t-shirts and some supplies. You ladies are always on time with your helpful information.

Mary

Archived