Manual Channel Lock

The checklist tag that was on my new Freedom SR indicates "Manual Channel Lock" was installed.

I noticed a little black knob on the right front axle but I'm not sure what this is? Is this the "Manual Channel Lock"? If it is, how does it work? I tried tightening it down but it doesn't reach down to the carriage rail. There's nothing in my manual about manual channel locks either.

Thanks.

Patti

www.quiltsfromthetrail.com

It sounds like that is the manual channel lock. If you turn the knob to the right, the tip should go low enough to touch the top rail of the carriage, turning it left, raises it again. These directions are if standing at the front of the machine, the needle end. If it doesn't go down all the way.....call APQS. It is just a screw and should work unless there is a stopper somewhere that needs to be removed.

It doesn't quite reach, but I think I can make an easy "fix" by applying a small piece of moleskin on the carriage about where it would sit when loading a quilt.

The only thing I use the vertical lock for is "drawing" my straight line after I've loaded the backing and batting. I use the stitched line to line up the top before basting through all three layers.

Patti

Freedom S/R

Seems like when I got my Millie 9 years ago, the name of the lock was opposite of what it did ... i.e., the "vertical channel lock" locked it from moving vertically ... you could only move the head horizontally. That's where my thinking is coming from ....

The check off tag on my Freedom (completed by the techs at APQS) indicated only "Manual Channel Lock" but didn't indicate a direction.

Patti

Freedom S/R

Archived