NQR for Kristina, sagbrushquilter

Hey Kristina: My husband and I are planning a trip, driving from WA state to Las Vegas in June...can't fly because we'll be delivering a motorcycle he sold to a friend down there. He's assigned me the route planning as I am a nervous passenger and a bit claustrophobic when on a 4 lane freeway. I like the looks of highway 93 down the east side of Nevada, doesn't look like there would be much traffic but there are also NO TOWNS and that scares me even more....even AAA recommends a route from Twin Falls , ID over to Salt Lake City and then back into Nevada. Any advice or reassurance from anyone who has driven this road is more than welcome.

Thanks...Cindy

Hi cindy. Twin falls to las vegas via ely is over 8 hours drive. Limited cell coverage. ely is the major town at the half way junction. Lots of antelope, deer, sheep, mustangs and a moose displaced near wells, nevada.

As much as I love the drive..i am used to the wildlife near the roadway..if not on it. however, the scenery can't be beat! You are safer to drive in the daytime with eyes open. Also, pack a winter coat and a quilt or two and plenty of water.

I couldn't begin to guess how long of a drive it would be to go from twin to slc to las vegas. Definitely longer I know that. 5 hours from slc to vegas on I15.

I will say this, the highway has been widened a bit to allow for passing lanes that we never had before. We also get lots of truck traffic. Max speed is 70..slowing to 25 in town. But many photo opportunities are available along this route.

Hope this helps, please feel free to call me. I will u2u my number.

We go Reno through Tonopah to Las Vegas on our way to Arizona every winter. Good road and towns evenly spaced. Never any problems We go from Reno over to Fallon and then south. WEnt from Wennamucca down one year and it was just fine. I don't like roads that are too infrequently traveled. don't want to get stuck with no traffic if we have problems.

We have a friend in Tahoe who also has a home in Las Vegas. She makes the drive 7 or 8 times a year. Plenty of good hotels to stay in while in Reno. She also goes thru Tonopah. We make several trips to different destinations in Nev. each year. We have a GMC Acadia and have kept the OnStar active in it because you lose cell coverage so often and NV is desolate.

As for quilt shops....The Quilt House in Gardnerville is a wonderful shop. It was in the Quilt Sampler a few years back. There is also Going Batty in Reno (more contemporary fabrics) in Reno. Also, Windy Moon Quilts in Reno has an excellent fabric selection. Look all three up on the internet for directions. They all have websites.

Archived