tip of the day

You all may know this but just in case there are others out there that have never had this happen to them - this is for you:

if you run out of bobbin thread, check underneath to feel/see if you have a tangled thread in the last few stitches sewn before the bobbin ran out of thread. Of course, I'm saying this because this happened today twice on a quilt I was doing - thankfully I spotted it as I was rolling and was able to fix it easily by undoing the inch or so of affected stitches, removing the tangled thread and resewing.

This hasn't happened before as far as I can remember, but I suppose there is a first time for everything!

Anyone else got any good tips? Before I go, I found another good tip on a website - use a clean toilet brush to clean the threads off your carpet before vacuuming so they don't gum up the machine. This really works! But make sure it's a clean brush to start with!!

A tip I've been using on the current quilt...since I have problems drawing a stick figure and I needed to quilt cowboy hats and boots, I searched the net for coloring book pages with cowboy hats and boots and got some good ones. Then instead of making a stencil with my sewing machine, I used my stiletto to make bigger holes for the chalk pouncing, and it worked quite well. This may be old news to some, but a newfound thing for me. There are lots of coloring book pages out there not copyrighted with permission to use however.

There's a new clear double stick tape by Scotch that works super on the back of rulers, giving just enough stick that they don't slide around on you when cutting or quilting. It's made for hanging posters and it doesn't take a big piece to do the job.

Archived