Choosing Instructors--Any tips?

So, I am looking at a class schedule for an upcoming show? I have a few teachers that I'd like to experience and a few I know to avoid after a class with them. Who do you think are the can't-miss instructors out there? Who would you suggest to an advanced beginner at piecing who is a rank beginner at machine quilting? Who did you find really inspiring?

Please keep this positive--no trashing of anyone you didn't like, please. But I really could use some direction as to who to try a class with!

Thanks! Cynthia

Cynthia,

Last year was the first time that I took any classes at one of the shows and I learned sooooooooo much! I went to the Milwaukee Quilt Show and had a great time. I took classes from Irena Bluhm, Deloa Jones, Myrna Fricken and Pam Clarke. The ones with Deloa and Myrna were hands-on and they were great! The ones with Irena and Pam were "drawing" classes and they were also great. I wasn't able to work it out to get any classes with Dawn Cavanaugh last year (scheduling conflicts) but I am already registered for this year's show and was able to get one with her this time. I found for myself that the drawing ones are just as helpful as the hands-on so am taking some of each again this year. I had great experiences with all of the teachers last year and am looking forward to trying a couple new ones this year. :):) Good luck with your choices!

I just attended the MQS show in Kansas. I'm not sure of the teachers on your schedule, but of the classes I took I learned the most of Deloa Jones, Jodi Robinson and Dusty Ferrell. In Kansas, I was there all week and all of the classes I took were from different teachers. When I met people I also asked who their favorite teachers had been. When I attend the next show I will take any additional classes that Deloa and Dusty offer, and have added a few new teachers to my list I'd like to try.

Thanks

Dana

Dawn Cavanaugh and Pam Clarke are two of my favorites. However, you can learn something from every class you take. That being said, from my own experience....there are two teachers that come to mind that I would never take another class from....and one of them is a big name. My friends have taken her classes and love her. It is a personal thing. Check then out....if you like their style of quilting....I bet you would learn something from them.

Guest Linda S

Sharon Schamber - you will learn so much your head may explode. I've had three classes with her so far and hope to take more at MQX West. She rocks.

Just returned from MQS and can tell you that Pam Clarke's class was great. She's a teacher that explains things very well that you can immediately use with only a few basic tools. I really wanted to take Deloa's class, but time didn't allow. She did spend a few minutes with me at her booth, and I'll be sure to get her on my schedule next time.

Just checked back at lunch. Thanks for all your suggestions. Anniquilter, I'm up for all types of classes, although I tend toward the hands-on. I often find that I think I understand something only to be confronted with reality when I actually try to do it.

And Mary Beth, you are so right that these things are very personal. One of my "never agains" is on someone's recommended list. Just goes to show . . . . .

I've never heard a bad report about DeLoa. Everyone loves her classes. I've taken dozens of classes and found that DeLoa is my absolute favorite. I use her designs from her classes all the time. I rarely do a quilt without something on it that she taught me. I, too, though, have taken a class on recommendation and ended up walking out of the class - also a big namer. She was just full of herself. She talked more about herself than quilting. My recommendation is not to take several classes from one instructor at one show. Try one class and if it's a dud, you don't have to sit through another. If you love it, take more at the next show.

Another favorite is Deb Levy's, A Walk on the Wide Side, a class on what to do with those big, honkin' borders. It was amazing. I couldn't take notes fast enough. As it turns out, in the back of the handout was a DVD covering all she talked about plus a lot that she didn't cover.

If you consider yourself a beginner, the longarm teachers I recommend would have to be Pam Clarke and DeLoa. Pam's designs are basic, easy to execute and also easy to build upon. DeLoa is a talented and generous instructor-- and all-around nice person. You can't go wrong with her classes and you will have a chance to purchase her books and tools as well.

Everyone has one or two instructors that they click with--and maybe a bad experience with one they wouldn't ever go back to. My worst experience was with a Big Name who so belittled another student for asking a (I thought logical) question--that I got up and left. I know there are pressures and perhaps a back-story involved, but that was inexcusable.

Other instructors to put on the faves list--Kimmy Brunner, our Dawn Cavanaugh, Irena Bluhm, Diana Phillips (the Line Dancing Queen), and Grace Anderson.

For beginners I think that Dawn, Pam Clarke, DeLoa, and Myrna are all terrific.. Personally I prefer buying DVD's rather than the hands on cause I replay and replay and have a TV set up that I can see from my Millie. I find this old brain gets too much info that I don't remember so the DVD's are a great solution for me.

Cynthia, sounds like you've got some good advice there. I've taken classes with Deloa & Jessica Jones, Pam Clarke, Myrna Ficken, Dawn Cavanagh, Jamie Wallen, Sally Terry as well as others. Some were demos & some were hands on. All were great and I would buy DVDs from all of them too. You can't go wrong with any of these and several others mentioned above.

I think the advice you've been given above about taking classes from a number of different teachers is very good. They all have different teaching & quilting styles and we all have different learning styles. You can usually get as much out of a lecture/ demo class where you draw as you can from a hands on class. After that it's just a question of PPP!

Let us know what you choose and how you get on. Good luck!

I think it is important to choose by what the class is covering. Not to just stay with an instructor because you respect them, but mix it up and take something that is new to you even if the instructor is an unknown.

When I am choosing classes at a show I tend to pick whatever I am currently interested in and then I get to the show and think “why did I pick 2 grid classes? Why did I pick 2 border classes? Why did I take a pantograph class just because I like the instructor?”

I feel like I learn from all the classes, but next time I chose a marathon of classes, I am going to focus on subject matter more

There are so many great teachers out there. I think you should look at the teachers websites and their style to see if it is something you would do. Then go for it. I've had some really great classes but the ones that I use a lot are DeLoa's and Jessica's designs, Renae Haddidin, Pam Clark, Jamie Wallen & Kim Brunner.

I took 4 classes at MQS and found all the teachers wonderful. However, I have also taken classes from several of the ones mentioned above and loved those too. Only one would I avoid in the future.

My favorite this year was Claudia Pfeil from Germany. She was so helpful, personable, funny and caring. Shall try to get another one of her classes in the future.

This was my first year ever taking any classes of any kind and I took 3 at MQX, Deloa Jones, Renae Hadadin, and Amy from APQS. All 3 classes were fantastic and I would highly recommend any of these teachers. Next year I am going to take more classes and stay for more days!!!

Ditto-ing the teachers listed above, I gotta also add Renae Haddadin and Kimmy Brunner, and Myrna Ficken and Sue Patten.

I have taken classes from teachers at the shows and they are all nice, they all have a lot of info to share and I benefited from all of them. I only had one (not so fabulous) class and the only "problem" I had was with one of the teachers (that apparently smoked a lot). Diana Phillips...I love her designs! She is so talented! She was very, very nice, friendly, helpful, super informative, and had a lecture and passed around samples to the students sitting in the audience to see up close and personal. Well, they were lovely examples of her creations, but they wreaked! Nobody wanted to handle them they stunk of stale cigarrette smoke. People just quickly passed them along while holding their nose. So just ... to the teachers that smoke, we love you but please be cognizant of your smoking and odors. ;) I did note this issue on her feedback so hopefully she has since fixed that!

But I gotta say that all of the teachers that out there are fabulous (Diana included)! You can't go wrong with any of them. Aren't we lucky to have so many fabulous teachers?

Whatever you do, don't take a class because of the description. I was disappointed with some teachers my first year at MQX because I did that.

Heidi's advice is right on target. Judy Woodworth was new to MQX this year, my second year attending, and I got on her website and was blown away by her work so this year I took her classes. Look up the quilters and see if you like their style. I LOVED Judy's classes. I also loved Jamie Wallen, DeLoa Jones, Pam Clarke and Dawn Cavanaugh. Other teachers mentioned here are also great, I just haven't had time to attend their classes.

Most of these teachers have U Tube videos that you can watch. Good luck with your choices.

DeLoa Jones is my favorite teacher. She has encouraged me to do many things. She has also suggested other teachers and classes for me to take. Jessica Jones is awesome and Jamie Wallen. I think I have taken DeLoa's Block Party class about 8 times and I learn something every time I take it.

AND, if Dave is around, you can learn a lot from him too!! (Especially if you bake him a pie!)

Archived