Sign in to follow this  

I am sending photos from our Quil-a-thon this weekend. We worked 7 hours yesterday, 13 hours today and another 7 tomorrow. To date 40 quilts have been finished ready to send to Christchurch so our target of making 50 over this weekend should be achieved. This is of course Thanks to many of you. Around 18 quilters spend some time with us today.

Yvonne

post--13461906248407_thumb.jpg

Wow, Yvonne, you ladies rock! Your group is doing such fantastic work assembling and quilting these blocks. The quilts are beautiful! The number of quilts you have made is staggering. Well done!!

<p>Vickie Oliver Beachside Quilter APQS Rep SW FL 2013 New Gen Millennium, Quilt Path

239-209-0990. Beachsidequilter.com

It's always wonderful to see and hear about the quilts you and your group of quilters are putting together. What an accomplishment. The array of beautiful quilts that are so different and unique, are a joy to see.

It was fun to see the workroom and all you ladies working so hard too. Thanks for sharing.

740963a8fa33d2a2e84714758a0d2b39.png

APQS Milli-2003

APQS Sales/Repair/Education

Quilting by Betty

It is fun to see all the quilts you and your friends have made. I just wanted to wave "hi" to the pictures of them working! What a great effort. Thank you for all your hard work organizing this effort. Thank you to all the quilters who helped assemble the quilts!

363702C2B0808C78BC03248E42546B9B.png

Quilting maniacs... all of you!!! :P

Really lovely ... I cannot believe how many quilts you all are doing. I am so proud of you. (((hugs))) Shana

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

That's wonderful! I am planning to do a Quilt a Thon, probably in the fall for Quilts for Kids. They collect quilts for kids in hospitals. Can you tell me how you organized this? At this point I would aim for a one day event.

Dianne

Originally posted by DB

That's wonderful! I am planning to do a Quilt a Thon, probably in the fall for Quilts for Kids. They collect quilts for kids in hospitals. Can you tell me how you organized this? At this point I would aim for a one day event.

Dianne

HI Dianne,

We were lucky that one of the local community clubs allowed us to use the foyer space in their rather magnificent building for our quilt-a-thon. This meant that lots of members passed thru during the day which created much interest in what we were doing as well we were given donations for the earthquake appeal fund.

This is how we planned our event.

Each time we received blocks from around the world over the past three months we sorted them into what would look good together and handed out to willing quilters to make into quilt tops. This meant over the weekend be batted and backed the finished tops ready for quilting. Mostly this was done on DSM as we only have 3 LA and they have been flat out. For the quilting on DSM most members have Berninas and they used either a straight stitch, a large stipple or no 4 which we call the "wiggly" stitch. Its a good quick but attractive alternative.

So the organization over the weekend went like this.

One group pinned the batting and backing, the next group did the quilting, then on to the next group to make the binding and sew this on and lastly a group who hand sewed the binding down. There were some who machined the binding with a fancy stitch but mostly they were done by hand. As well we had a couple of members in charge of coffee, food and sweeties thru out the weekend.

Not sure if is of any help

Yvonne

Thank you Yvonne.

I got your U2U as well. Hmm I wasn't thinking of donated blocks but that is certainly an idea. I had planned on piecing in the AM and quilting in the PM. Or having some tops already pieced and ready to quilt in the AM.

That was wonderful that you had the lobby of a large building donated to you to use. I will be using my studio which can accomodate about 10-12 people at a time, I thought I would have people sign up in shifts. Having organized groups sounds like a good idea.

Now I'm wondering if we should do something for the people who have lost everything to the hurricanes in the midwest.

Dianne

Now I'm wondering if we should do something for the people who have lost everything to the hurricanes in the midwest.

Dianne

Dianne if you or anyone else is planning to do something for the people of the midwest please do let me know and we will support in what ever way we can.

Yvonne

Originally posted by Von Roberts

Dianne

Dianne if you or anyone else is planning to do something for the people of the midwest please do let me know and we will support in what ever way we can.

Yvonne

Now ....... doesn't this just warm my heart!! :) WOW!!! :cool:

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter