Carriage for the Millennium -- Update

So I was quilting along today and found out that I am short about 3" of quilting width on my machine. You would think I would have figured this out before today, since I have had my machine for 5 years and a month. On my carriage, the back side of the machine, the carriage is straight down, not extended and at an angle. If it was at an angle it would add the extra 3" I need. I actually found this out from Michael from Circle Lord.

So tomorrow I will be calling Amy to see what options I may have as far as finding a fix or replacing my carriage. If any one has any advice, I would love to hear it.

I am puzzled--do you have a picture? If bought new, your machine is a 2006? Are you saying the carriage is set up so the wheels stop before you have accessed the full depth of the stitching field? I try never to quilt that close to the back roller anyway, but it would be a big consideration if you want to add a computer. Now I have to go check out mine! I do know I can quilt to the leveler roller if the quilt hasn't rolled up too much on the take-up. Update when you get a chance....

The carriage extends 4" past the back rails of the table. According to Michael, they should extend further out. My machine is an '02, bought it used. The previous owner hardly used it, and then it sat at a gammil dealer for over a year and a half before I bought it. They only reason I want to quilt that close to the take up roller is because I am using Circle Lord Boards, and I am having trouble quilting the width of the board. Normally, I do not quilt that large of an area.

Vickie, my carriage wheels are in the right holes. Amy moved my wheels last November for me.

My DS just helped me post this picture. He did it in 2 seconds, I tried for 15 minutes.

post--13461906258306_thumb.jpg

Yes Sharon, it looks like the previous owner whacked off the back end of your carriage. it should look like the front of the carriage. APQS should be able to sell you one. Or maybe someone who has upgraded to the Bliss system has their old carriage laying around that you could get for a steal, probably. You may want to post a "wanted" ad in the forum.

On the older Millies, like yours, the carriage was even longer than on the newer machines. I bet that is why they cut it off, cause it really extended out the back side.

Wow, that's a first for me as well. I've never seen a carriage that looked like that and I've been working on APQS machines for about 10 years. That's got to be the weirdest thing I've seen. I agree with Patty, looks like someone modified the carriage to fit their own needs and didn't tell the next owner of the cut. Maybe they didn't think that anyone would notice. zeke...............

You know Sharon, you could move the rear axle forward and it would solve your problem. All you have to do is make sure that the machine didn't vibrate or feel out of balance. The axles on my UI are 13 3/4" apart when most Milli are 17 1/4" apart. My UI doesn't vibrate at all even with the shorter axle difference. It's just a thought for you to mull over.

Archived