Practice Batting

I'm a newbie here. I've been reading the posts and find this bunch of quilters very friendly, helpful and insightful.

My question is this: When I receive my machine, which batting should I use for practice? I want to use something cheap, as it will never be a "real" quilt, only a practice piece, and I was told to use something cheap. I have two different cheap, bargain batts to choose from. One is from Wal Mart, called Morning Glory old fashion needle punch batting. It's "bleached cotton with scrim - 1/8 inch profile" and it's 110x110. The other is Poly-fil from Fairfield, can't remember where it came from since it was buried in my closet. It says it's "bonded to resist fiber migration" it is extra loft, between 1/4" and 1/2".

Again, this is only for practice. However, I want to use something that I don't have to fight with.

Appreciate the help!

Laura

Hi Laura,

You wouldn't want to use a batting with extra loft. I haven't used the WalMart batting so can't answer as to that particular batting.

You could go to Joann Fabrics if you have one nearby. With a 40 or 50% off coupon, they sell several different kinds of battings on a roll. You might want to get several pieces of different kinds so you can decide what you like working with better.

Enjoy your new machine.

Char

Laura,

The Morning Glory batting from WalMart is very much like quilting on the thinnest Quilters Dream Cotton so you would be getting actual practice on what that would feel like....and ya never know you might like it.

I have had tons of customers that will only put that into their quilts....yes its cheap (and some can only afford the cheap) and yes its made by a not so famous batting company, but doesn't mean its totally junk...like the commercial use to say "Try it you might like", if you don't you only wasted a few dollars with practice.:D

Thanks for the input! I just wondered what to do for the first time. Once I get the hang of the movement, or feel comfortable, I'll probably switch to Hobbs 80/20 for more practice. Kathleen, that's a great idea. Before doing customer quilts, I plan on making a portfolio, so to speak. With samples of different batts, threads and techniques. I can't wait until my machine arrives!

Morning Glory Poly is the worst stuff and falls apart just hanging over the rail. I bought a roll of poly batting from Fabri-Quilt that was 45 inches wide to practice on. It had over 30 yards for less than $30.00. It was terrific. I wouldn't use it on a customer quilt but I have donated a bunch of it for charity quilts and to another quilter for practicing. jeri

Archived