Stitch Regulator Problem

I am having a problem with with my front to back stitch. I have cleaned all the wheels and the black encoded wheels as well. I have also loosen the gold bolt and pushed the encoder wheel and machine wheels together as far as they will go but I can still see light through where the two wheels meet on both the machine and carriage. The encoder wheels look a little worn on the top outer edge. I own a pre-loved 2007 Millie which I have had for just over a year.

Should I see any light where the wheels meet?

Is there anything else I should be trying?

If I need to change the encoded wheels is this hard to do and would this be a good time to change my machine wheels to M&M wheels?

Many thanks

Leisel

Hi Leisel,

I have an 07 Millie and I can see through the curved bit where the wheels meet.

Have a look at where the adjusting cams are on both the carriage wheel and the head wheels, they need to be at the same point, it's beautifully explained in the set up manual.

We recently put M&M wheels on and it was not difficult, instructions were very clear and the difference is amazing.

Is your stitch problem happening on the straight or when you go back on the diagonal?

If it's on the diagonal it is likely to be the timing out just a fraction and it's easy to adjust, with my Millie the hook deflects the needle quite noticeably, otherwise she just won't behave!

Good luck and don't despair.

Judy

Thankyou so much for your help Judy and Sue.

Ok so checked that both wheels are on the table the same point. I did another test sample with diagonal stitching and all stitches are the same size. Side to side stitches are bigger but all the same length. When I stitch back to front or front to back I get some small then a few big stitches...

When I looked at where the wheel and the encoder wheel meet the space where I can see light is twice as big on the machine than the carriage...

I thinking I will need to change these encoder wheels ..... little bit worried!!!

Has anyone done this????

Hi Leisel,

Try this, put your thumb against the little black en-coder wheel and apply a small amount of pressure and move the carriage along, the carriage wheel should only just be able to turn, if you have to use a lot of pressure to slow it right down then there is a fair bet your little wheel is worn out.

Not difficult to replace, if you look you can see some tiny Allen key holes.

Everything from APQS comes with great instructions and pictures too!! Easy peasy.

Judy

Hi Lyn,

Glad to be able to help perhaps, if you are hopping stitches going diagonally up to the left from the custom side then it's fairly sure to be timing also check the spring in your bobbin case, it shouldn't be dead flat.

Did you get to the maintenance class when Mike and Mark were over here?

Judy

Hi Leisel,

Try running the machine in the manual mode and do some of the same movements and see what your stitches look like. If it is a timing problem then you should have the same smaller then larger or skipped stitches when moving say front to back. Remember your stitch length won't be perfect since you are not in the SR mode. See what happens and then let us know and we can go from there! :)

Thankyou for the Link Sue:)

Thanks Mark and Judy

OK have checked stitches in manual mode and is hard to tell but think it is skipping stitches. So have cleaned everything oiled and put a new needle in (no. 4.0).

The needle and scarf position look right being in the lower 1/3 and kissing the needle, don't know if to much as it looks like the needle is being pushed and when I turn the flywheel I can feel it pushing the needle.

There is a very little bit of play in the Hook Collar could this be causing the problem????

Many Thanks

Leisel

Archived