Making stencils

Has anybody here ever made their own stencils for use with miracle powder. I tried using a size 18 needle and some stenil plastic to stitch the design using my DSM, but when I pounce it, the powder doesn't go through the holes. Do I need to use a drill or something, or cut it with a razor knife?

I've got this huge quilt to mark, 90 x 110, and I don't want to use the blue marker over the whole thing, that will take forever.

Any suggestions?

I tried once with using a stencil burner....I think the knife would work better....just remember to leave an attached piece between the cuts....I FORGOT to do that and had a huge mess when I picked it up. But then the giggles hit and it took me seveal minutes to regain my composure and by that time I decided it was way easier to just draw the marks and be done with it...I used a light box and it did go faster for me than the hassle of the stencil.

I've made then using golden threads paper and my DSM. I used miracle chalk and marked the quilt as a rolled it. It worked great.

After you stitch the paper on your DSM, there back side when the needle poked through will be a little bit rough. This side needs to go up when pouncing so that the powder can get through.

Debbi

I have made my own stencils...I use DBK stencil plastic which you can get from the stencil company. I cut the stencil with the double bladed olfa exacto knife. It works great. I tried poking holes in the plastic like you...it was not successfull for me.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Guest Linda S

I have a stencil burner and it works okay. If you're making them on your DSM with the needle, don't use a pounce pad! Get those little foam paint brushes and dab the chalk on. You're much more likely to get the chalk through the holes. I use Miracle Chalk -- the kind that stays on till you steam it off. Works great. I don't like the spray chalk because it's too messy to clean off the stencils.

Linda

How to make a cheap, re-usable stencil to use with Miracle chalk---

Materials-

Freezer paper

Nylon net--the cheapest with a big grid-any color

Twin needle for your DSM-I use a Schmetz 130/705

Cut two sheets of freezer paper the same size.

Draw or trace your stencil design on the paper side of one sheet. Place the paper waxy sides together and put the twin needle in your DSM.

Without thread in the machine and with a shortened stitch length, sew on the lines of your design. If you have interior pieces of the stencil that will fall out after sewing, carefully number these so you can re-position them later.

Use a seam ripper or stiletto to punch out the perforated design, being sure to save the interior pieces.

Take the pieces to the ironing board. Pull the freezer paper apart carefully and lay a piece of netting on one side (wax side up) and lay the other piece of stenciled paper on top (waxy side down) Position any interior pieces carefully, lining everything up. Cover with a paper towel and iron on hot until the freezer paper sheets stick together.

You now have a freezer paper sandwich with net in the middle. Miracle Chalk will pounce or sponge easily through the netting and the stencil holds up pretty well. It can easily be used to mark a top as you go if you are careful. You may re-inforce the outside edges of the stencil by ironing on straight strips of freezer paper to the very edges.

I developed this method a few years ago when I couldn't find something to fit an awkward area. Hope you can use this idea!

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Olympia Wa.

Man what an invention....I'm bowing down to the Linda God....what a neat thing to make.....I'm going to copy your instructions and make some for myself...I always wind up with a spot that I could shrink a stencil into, but have never been able to successfully make a stencil so have always scanned the gizmo's and used a light box to get the deed done....

I have used the stencil burner and it worked fine. And like

with any stencil, you have to put the rough side up or

toward the chalk pad. And of course, you swipe or

drag the pad over the holes. You do not bounce the pad on

the fabric. It makes a horrible chalky mess....so I've heard.....;)

I heard a new way to make stencils but can't remember

where I heard it....maybe Innovations.

You trace the pattern you want onto the stencil plastic either

using your lightbox or the patio sliding door. Then take

the stencil with the pattern on it to your DSM. Insert a

needle that is broken into the machine. Then stitch your

plastic with the pattern on it on the DSM using the broken

needle. The shaft of the needle makes a nice size hole for

the chalk to get thru. Voila, stencil !

I haven't tried that yet but it sounds good.:cool:

I have made stencils using the same methods listed above with the DSM. The only difference is I used a "Wing" needle and stitched on the plastic sheets (clear) that are used on overhead projectors.

If you don't know what a wing needle is, it is used in Heirloom sewing. It has flanges or (wings) that stick out on either side of the needle and makes a larger hole in the fabric or whatever you are sewing on. Schmetz makes them. Then I use the pounce pad on the rough side of the stencil.

Works like a champ.

Patty

Just another take on what the rest have been saying.

I use cardstock (heavy paper for scrapbooking) and run through the printer or use carbon paper to trace design on paper. Then I use a blunt hand needle (probably a needlepoint or plastic canvas needle) to poke the holes. Put a layer of scrap batting under the paper. I push the eye end of the needle into an eraser to make it easier to hold. I live in the country and needed a different size stencil one day and had all this around the house. You know neccessity, mother of invention. But it worked so well I keep using this method, I get a smoother stencil this way and it is calming to do the punching and goes quicker than you might think.

Sue

I too use the overhead transparencies. One big advantage is that you can print directly onto the transparency. First you size your drawing and print onto paper to check size etc, then print onto your tranparency. Freemotion quilt on your Domestic Sewing Machine(DSM) and you can see though the stencil to place your design.

You can see an example on my tips and tricks Webshots album.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/70696059jdPhHM

Archived