How Did I Miss This -- New Butterfly Template

Georgene

I was just perusing the Circle Lord site and noticed NEW Butterfly Template. Am I the last to know? I must have missed this announcement. Or maybe it's one that Michael slips in just to see who's paying attention.

http://circlelordbutterfies.blogspot.com/

Isn't it nice? I think I would use this a lot. I like that you get four different sizes and that there is no "stepping" to do....means simple to do. And the outside scallops could be used alone or with another design. I like that too.

I'll have to order before the 20% special runs out.

post--13461906353206_thumb.jpg

Georgene the butterflies stitch so quick and easy! With the different size butterflies and frames the set will be great for blocks of various sizes. The butterflies can be used alone and the frames can be used around applique, embroidery, or other quilting designs. I used the large butterfly on this baby quilt that I did for a friend and a loose free motion background filler because she didn't want a lot of quilting and she loves it!!

The double stitched frame can be filled or the space between the frame and butterfly can be background filled to make the frame and butterfly pop. Or the butterfly can be embellished. Did I say the butterflies stitch quick and easy? :D

I have another quilt that I put these butterflies on and will post pictures tomorrow when the sun is in a better position for taking photos.

2076912360105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2824355670105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2250583620105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

I saw the set of 4 new templates at MQX East...he would not sell them yet. Boy, I really wanted to take them home that day!! They are beautiful!!

Have to admit, I did not think I'd use the big ones, but after seeing your quilt Carmen, I will for sure!

Thanks for telling us they are there now.

A friend made this quilt and the new Circle Lord Butterflies seem llike a perfect design for each of the blocks. Between the blocks I used the swirl from the Starz template to match the swirls in the border. Since this is a donation quilt I keep the quilting quick and easy.

2599017450105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2362476160105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

2483499350105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

Originally posted by sandradarlington

How did you do the swirls on the border? Is that the spiral template? How did you get them to come out evenly on the sides, without ending up with a partial swirl somewhere?

The borders on both quilts were done with the new Circle Lord border template. YEAH! A border template! :cool: Michael now has templates for E2E, blocks and borders!

The swirl borders can be done in one pass without the outside echos which gives a basic spiral of 2.5" and 3.5 inch. With both echoes, they become 3.1" and 4.3". The Greek key can be done with one or two passes, giving sizes ranging from 2.6" to 3.6". All very quick to do! :) You can check out the template here:

http://circlelordgkswirlsbord.blogspot.com/

I try to line up the template so both edges have the same amount of the quilted design. For the swirls and Greek key I quilted the top and bottom borders end to end then turned the quilt and llined up so an equal amount of the design on each edge was beside the already stitched design. Make sense? I was probably lucky with these quilts and almost the entire design fit on the second set of borders.

Originally posted by Georgene

Carmen, I really like the little swirls in the cornerstones.

When you turn your quilts for the side borders, do you repin, or do you use staples? Your borders always look so nice.

The swirls in the cornerstones were done with the swirl on the Starz template. That is a handy little design and I've used it quite a few times to fill in areas on a quilt.

The only time I stapled was when I helped Claudia Pfeil set up her classroom at MQS and she said to (gasp!) staple. I see how easy it is and the staples don't hurt the canvas, but I have only pinned using Clover flowerhead pins.

I emailed pictures of the churn dash quilt to my friend and she is thrilled with it and now says she wants to enter it in our guild's show this fall. Hmmm, I should have known that before I started quilting. :o

Thanks, Carmen. I have only stapled once myself.

I always dread the extra work of turning and re-pinning a quilt top. But it does make the borders turn out better.

I have a $20 charge for turning a quilt for borders, do you think that's about right?

Hey...Claudia gasped when I told her to staple too....then when I told her to staple the back only and then just "rip" it right off...she realized how fast it would be to load and unload in her classes that she was sold. When I was quilting I only stalpled the backs - this was to save my poor fingers from those nasty pins. I highly recommend it.

Originally posted by Hawaii

Mary Beth,

When you "rip it right off", what happens to the staples???? Considering, but am wondering if we have to pick out or pick up a bunch of used staples????

I wondered about that too. I tried stapling once and didn't like it at all. I had to pick out all those staples and didn't like the ones that did come out and fell on the floor. I still use pins and the red snappers in combination.

When I rip it off, some of the stalples stay in the backing fabric and some stay in the canvas. I had a 3" canvas leader on my zipper. Then when I stapled on my next top, I would pick out the old staple before putting in a new one. Because I "ripped" is off, it pretty much straightened my staple so it just had a hook on one end...no big deal.

Note: If you are a neat freak you will not like this method. I am pretty laid back so I don't get real technical.

Archived