THOUGHT I'D RUINED MY MILLIE TODAY !!!!

I was quilting away today doing just fine when my needle fell out and jammed in the machine. I got my needle nose pliers out and worked and worked until it came out - bent, but not broken, so no pieces stuck in there. Then I held my breath wondering if it was all messed up, but I put in a new needle, rethreaded, etc. and gingerly started quilting. NO problem at all...........no funny noises, no wonky stitches. WHEW ! I was sweating bullets for a while. Now, I will try to remember to check that little screw more often. I was just thinking before that happened that I would change needles as soon as I finished that quilt. I had about 6" left to go when it happened. I think I will find a place on my machine to hang that little screwdriver as a reminder to check the set screw more often. :o

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE..........I think I will find a place on my machine to hang that little screwdriver as a reminder to check the set screw more often. :o

DON'T use the "little" screw drivers to tighten your needles down on the screw. The little screw drivers don't give enough torque on the screw. use a long handled screwdriver. This will ensure your needle is tightened down tight and will not fall out.

I've been cautious about over tightening that screw, as on my HQ16, I stripped the inside of the hole when I tightened too tight. I don't think that was ALL my fault and believe the "post" was faulty or ??? I had followed their instructions on the video to the letter. After I had to have all that part replaced, I never had any more trouble and my machine has since gone on to a new home and she has had no trouble either.

Anyway, I will check more often now. I have a small screwdriver about 6" long that I can get a good grip on. I need to look for one with a longer handle and a thin enough blade to fit that screw.

Thanks for that tip Shana. :)

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

.......I need to look for one with a longer handle and a thin enough blade to fit that screw....

The metal part of the screwdriver that I use is about 4" long with a normal size handle that is about 3" long. The tip is narrow so I can fit it into the screw slot.

PS: It's a good idea to have a couple spare screws on hand... just in case you drop the tiny screw and can't find it on the floor, or you strip the screw. I have a couple spares in my drawer of goodies. I've not done either of these (yet) but... just in case!! :P

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

.......I need to look for one with a longer handle and a thin enough blade to fit that screw....

The metal part of the screwdriver that I use is about 4" long with a normal size handle that is about 3" long. The tip is narrow so I can fit it into the screw slot.

PS: It's a good idea to have a couple spare screws on hand... just in case you drop the tiny screw and can't find it on the floor, or you strip the screw. I have a couple spares in my drawer of goodies. I've not done either of these (yet) but... just in case!! :P

I found a regular size screwdriver in my "tool drawer" with a thin enough blade to fit the little screw. I do have a couple of spare screws, too. Maybe I need to put in a new one and see if it stays tighter longer. Can't hurt ! :)

I replaced the slotted needle clamp screw with an allen screw. I keep the allen key stuck to the machine's handle bar bracket all the time. The allen screw is smaller (less chance of thread catching on it), and the screw will hold the key while you're taking the old needle out, and putting the new one in. You can also get more torque with the key than a small screw driver. The screw head is also less subject to damage. Jim

I bought my allen head needle clamp screw from Ray at Quilt Tech. I don't remember if he has them on his web catalog or not. If not, just give him a call and tell him what you want. He's got lots of stuff for several different type of longarms. Jim (his site is: quilttech.com)

Archived