Help me get going, (kinda long)

I am trying to get organized to start setting up for a small quilting business. I have been mulling over business names that will be unique to me, where I am located and my interests. I live in high desert, rim rock country and my other interests besides quilting are horses and rodeo. We travel to Mesa, AZ in the winter but our Oregon home is just above the rim of a dry canyon. I have narrowed down a considerable list to the following. I would like for you to pick what you think would be best for a business name or suggest something I have not thought of.

I have a couple of favorites but I would like your ideas.

Thanks, Sharon

Dry Canyon Custom Quilting (CQ from now on)

Silver Sage CQ

Roany Pony CQ (a roan is sorrel, red brown, and white hairs mixed)

Canyon Cliff CQ

Red Mesa CQ (we live in Redmond and winter in Mesa)

Rodeo Gal CQ

Lucky Horse CQ

Canyon Rim CQ

Running Horse CQ

Silver Buckle CQ

Silver Spurs CQ

Painted Pony CQ

High Desert CQ

Would High Desert Quilting work for both where you live in Oregon and also in Arizona? Or is that too common for an Arizona business name? I notice that is in your signature line and just got to thinking it might work in both locales. Sometimes for me, the simpler the name, the better, when it comes to remembering (old age is hard on the memory! LOL).

Hi Sharon,

I like Silver Sage and Canyon Rim. I agree with Sylvia to lose the "custom" part of the name--don't do anything to scare a customer away. In that vein, any obviously "cowgirl" name will cause customers to visualize "cowboy quilt" and perhaps not send you their Baltimore Album quilt or their Kaffe Fassett creation. Stick with a landscape name as opposed to a horsey/spurs/rodeo theme. I hate to be a spoiler, but more generic is better when you are just starting out. BUT--save those great western names to mull over for your pattern line or your blog. They are all fabulous names!

(Don't forget about the Moxies in July. It would be great to meet you and I agree with your other post about Beth--she is a gem!)

High Desert Quilting is my fave.

Even tho I live in Lincoln, NE, I live in an area called Vintage Heights, where ALL the streets are named after anything to do with "wine."

Hence my name is: Vintage Stitches Quilting.

Since both of your residences are in the Desert, you could also use the "stitches" in your name. Desert Stitches Quilting...or Desert Threads Quilting, to encompass them both!

Hi Sharon......Isn't it a great mix....horses and quilts????

Even though I love horses too and they play a big part in my life....at the moment bigger than the quilting my name is a double take on that and my geographical area and even though I don't yet quilt for customers I think I will stick with my chosen name when/if I do!

We breed coloured horses....so I like....

Painted Pony Quilting and High Dessert Quilter but Canyon Rim Quilting would get you up nearer the front in the alphabetical list!

Silver Sage and Painted Pony are neck and neck. I think I should use Silver Sage because as one responder said, if the name of the business is too "western" potential clients may think it is just western type quilts and motifs. I want to have as broad an appeal as possible. I agree that I should drop the custom quilting part of the name and have just quilting. I have thought about using Painted Pony as a quilted gift line since I plan do do some of that. We have so many farmer's markets and festivals during the tourist season that want "cowboy, western" type things.

So, Silver Sage Quilting is the name.... now to check the LLC list.

Thank you all for your comments.

Archived