Entering Houston

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could give me some info on this subject. I had a client who wanted to enter a quilt I quilted in Houston, but she said that the guildlines prohibit this if a quilt was "paid" to be quilted. Has anyone encountered this issue and if so why is this the case. She said that she called and spoke with someone about it and that they said the reason was to cut down on, "the one who could pay the most for quilting, wins!" situations. I don't know how I feel about this. I wonder if we end up getting a bunch of clients who want to enter and therefore say, I can't pay you because then I couldn't enter it in big shows like Houston? That would be bad. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

This has been discussed at length here and has been debated all over the country. The organizers of any show get to make the rules.

A quilt worked on by more than one person is considered a collaboration (at Houston) and as such, no money can have change hands for work performed. The quilt is considered to be owned by both artists and any awards are split. After the quilt makes the show circuit it can be purchased by one from the other.

I am not sure about the other national shows, but if the piecer is not the quilter, it is usually entered as a "duet" or a group quilt--as would be the case with a quilt guild entering a quilt made by the all members.

Tell your friend to look at Paducah, MQS and MQX if she is looking to enter the quilt show fray.

MQX and MQS are shows geared towards the quilters as opposed to the piecers so the rules are different.

If you are interested in entering with a great piecer, to be on the safe and legal side, collaborate--then after the shows are finished, you can "sell" her your half of the quilt. Or you can buy her half!

Your customer is correct about the rules and about the reason IQA gives for the rule (which has only been in effect approx. 3 years). Hats off to your customer for actually reading all the rules so carefully. Hopefully she can find another show which would welcome her quilt (and your quilting).

Guest Linda S

The level of competition at these shows really does make it desirable that the work of art comes from one person or a collaboration that is not an exchange of money. The notion that the award goes to the one who pays for the best quilting job is valid. Of course, this is still a problem if a decent piecer is capable of convincing a great longarmer to quilt for her only for the prize money the two will win, but it does level the playing field a bit more.

Archived