I want to start a longarm quilting business

Hello everyone. I'm new visitor here and I have some questions. I have been working on my business plan for the last two years off and on and for the last six months I've been working on it every week now. I'm anxious to get it completed. I need some help. I'm working on my business plan and I know I want to start a longarm quilting business and I know there is business out there. I have contacted some longarm quilters and most of them are all backup 3 to 6 months. I'm very excited and can not wait to get my machine. Is there a easy way to figure out the esitmated pricing for your work, what all should be included in the business plan, I read that APQS has a business plan format, can I get a copy of that, what I would like to do is purchase the top of the line machine and hope someday to be able to quilt any designs from the basic to the extreme. I'm a quilter myself and I have 15 different type and sized of quilt tops unquilted. I did get two quilts quilted by a new quilter and she is now back up about 3 months out. I would love to do my own and have this wonderful machine. Please help me. My goal is to get my machine this year. Thanks everyone.

Jacqueline in Minnesota

APQS has been wonderful!

1. The board is choc-full of information from alot of ladies who are already doing this as a business. The board topics contain info about pricing, but!!!

You must shop locally (your quilt shops, etc) to determine what your competition is charging. There's no sense in marketing yourself to the local market at 2x what the locals are charging.

2. Read books, the Business of Machine Quilting is brand new and a terrific resource of information!

3. Get the APQS package of info...this can help you do your business plan. (2 years? I had mine done in less time than that because of the APQS family!)

4. The folks at US Bank were terrific. My SBA guy said I didn't need enough $$ to justify an SBA loan...US Bank came through...thank you APQS!

I ordered my machine maybe in July? I've lost track, and she's due here any-day now. Getting your space ready will be your biggest challenge, and she's a big baby! You'll need lots of room to move around it!

Good Luck!!! This is a wonderful Journey!

I am also starting a quilting business in Minnesota. I did the research over the last couple of years and have found that there are a number of LA quilters out there but there seems to be enough business to go around.

I purchased my millinum and hope to have it in a couple of weeks. Yes one of the biggest jobs is getting the space ready. As for the marketing I have put togather business cards and a flyer. I will be visting the local shops after I get a few tops done, I have 10 of my own in the waiting :D I am also letting lots of people know just to start the word of mouth going.

Research and more research is the best thing.

Where in Minnesota are you Twins Cities or outstate. I am in Northfield.

Hi It's nice to know someone where I am is also doing the same thing. Cool. I'm in Saint Paul Minnesota, I live close to downtown Saint Paul.

So you have ordered your machine already. I'm hoping really bad to do so soon. I'm working with a company call WomenVenture and they reviewed my business plan and I have to add and touch on a couple of more things. I hope they don't give me a hardtime with trying to get a business loan. They asked all sorts of questions. I really really want this machine so bad. I'm so glad to have stumble on to this APQS website because you all seen so happy and excited and I feel like I know most of you.

Jacqueline

• 2 months later...

I just got my financing. My machine is due in January. One of the most important things in the business plan is your financials. You need at least 1 year of cash flow and opening balance statement and 3 year projection for income and expenses. I have a copy of my cash flow done on excel if any one would like I can email you a copy. Keep in mind I live in Canada. I also have a copy of my full business plan. I haven't started charching yet but if anyone wants more information I'd be happy to share.

The Quilt Lady

Tina Caderma

odori1@hotmail.com

(306) 522-2323

Guest Linda S

Yeah Tina! Congratulations on the financing. I remembering running up and down the halls here at work and dancing all over the day I found out I would get my money. I'm such an excitable girl. ;)

Linda

For those of you who are trying to get financing for your machines, call APQS they have several lenders that they work with for financing.

We had problems with the first choice they offered us, but the APQS sales rep told us that they will do everything in their power to get it done. I have had my machine for 6 mos now with financing they they helped arrange for us.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Blessings and hugs

Tracey

Archived