What is your favorite Circle Lord Board?

kathyd

Hi Angie,

I just went to your blog and was admiring your quilting. I noticed that you are using Connecting Threads Essentials on your long arm. How do you like it? Is it linty? I love Connecting Threads and have purchased lots of their thread but use it for machine piecing. I've been a Superior thread girl since I got my machine so I'll have to try it out.

Your QOV is very nice - and you did a wonderful job with those feathers!

KathyD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kathy, I don't have an APQS machine, either, but I hang out here because I love the way this forum is organized. If you want to know something about Circle Lord, go to the Circle Lord messages. It's that simple:) BTW, I love the CL boards that I have and you can't go wrong with any of them. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I have some CL boards that I don't use because I have IQ. Swirlz, rope, star dance, seven treasures and a bunch of the small square ones plus the up front (never used). I am keeping the basic unit and the cross hatching. Let me know if there is some interest. I think about $200-250 for the boards is good. They are all the king size boards.

Hi KathyD,

I only have 2 colors of the Connecting long arm thread---Essential Pro. I really like it! Runs well on my machine. Hardly any lint. It is a fine thread though. So, depending on the "look" you want, it works. For the cost, you should try a few cones and see if you like it. I don't fuss too much about lint as I brush and blow out my bobbin case area every time I change bobbins---

I love your Quilt of Valor done with the Swirls! I have a similar Quilt of Valor waiting for me to complete---and I've been debating a design. Now, I think I may Swirl it after seeing yours! You can hardly go wrong using that Circle Lord design! I've never seen a quilt it didn't look good on! :)

Angie,

Thanx for your kind words. I had fun with the QOV. Our Quilt Guild did the stars and I volunteered to pull it together.

I only quilt for myself and donation quilts like this. I just got an email from someone in town who made her first quilt for her grandson who is coming home from Afghanistan at the end of July. I didn't know it was for a soldier and gave her a quote to do the quilting and now I feel guilty taking money for it.

I am off to check out the Connecting Thread. I use their cotton for piecing but I've not ordered their quilting thread. I may just have to order some and try it out. Have you tried the Omni Thread? How does it compare?

Well thank you again!

KathyD

I keep records on a database and created this report showing the number of times I've used each board. I've quited just over 150 quilts and 61 of them used Circle Lord large boards!

Swirls wins hands down, but the Milky Way is coming up fast. I've only had the Milky Way and the Cosmos for a couple of months... It is listed twice depending on the orientation. The Waves (zigzag board) is listed 3 times so actually has a total of 5 sales.

post--13461906504456_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's amazing information. I hope Michael sees this post.

Right now I don't quilt for others but have used my swirlz on two quilts and think the next quilt I do will have Square dance on it. Now to find a quilt to use Cosmo on.

I have a quilt in mind for feather wreaths and the zig zag board...but that is after a wee bit of practice.

I love these boards!

KathyD;)

I love them too! I should add that I have also done a number of custom quilts using the smaller boards (like Gingko) as well as the small clamshells, crosshatch, etc. as background filler. Also, the list above is all my large boards. I'm sure there are some that people get a lot of use from that I don't have - like Star Dance, Water, etc., so if you are looking to buy, don't go by my list alone..

Janette. I put a narrow sandwich on the frame (I used a sheet - cut 35" wide, and then used it top and bottom with a cheap batting). I then did one row of each of the boards I have. Then I cut the sandwich into strips for each design and stay stitched the edges. I show these to my customers and it really helps them see the design rather than the boards. Maybe this would help you encourage your customers to choose your boards?

Linda - it didn't even take long - one night and it was done. Now that I recall, I didn't do the stay - stitching after the fact, but in between each row with the channel lock on the Millie. I stitched two lines about 1/2 to 1 inch apart and when I took it off the frame, I just cut between them with pinking shears. Also, I punched-in a largish eyelet near the top, and they just hang on a hook.

Here is a picture - although blurry, I should take a better one. My helper is such a ham!

post--13461906505397_thumb.jpg

Barbara - You can't really see it because the pictue is blurry, but there are samples there of my freehand E2E designs as well as a couple of panto's. There are other designs too that I do not have samples stitched out, but I have pictures of them on my computer.

The real easy designs - large freehand meander, CL Clamshells and CL single wave or zigzag are my 'economy' patterns. For those I charge $2.00 - $2.25 per square foot (I think that is around 1.5 cents a square inch. Most of my other patterns are $2.50 per square foot, regardless of whether they are freehand, CL, or panto. But dense panto's are more and custom is even more again. My prices are very reasonable, and maybe too low for some..

Hope this helps. With all the designs lumped together like that, the customer picks what they want is best for the quilt rather than the technique.

Archived