Flame retardant laws?

Remember when children's sleepwear became flame retardant?

Do they still have this law? Or, in the light of organic/non toxic

type products has this law been changed?

What I'd really like to know is if we can sell baby quilts that are made of 100 percent cotton material? Since it isn't clothing, is it OK?

Anne, the law still exists. I'm not sure how it pertains to us who sell quilts to consumers. Regardless of the law, I make all my baby/child quilts of of cotton (thread included) and use QD Angel batting which is "flame retardant". 100 percent cotton is best because when it burns it doesn't "stick" to the skin and burns away leaving an ash. Part of my job in the Navy was firefighting. Anything with poly or nylon in it is very, very ughly when the burning material comes in contact with skin. They both melt into the flesh and keep burning. Debring the wound is hard because the burnt poly, nylon, synthetics must also be "picked" out of the skin. The navy requires sailor to wear cotton while serving on the ship (not everyone complies). They even issue cotton underwear in bootcamp. Poly battings look great (puffy) in a quilt, but think about what will happen if it catches on fire????? Sorry, this is one of my "soap box" issues.

Originally posted by Gator

100 percent cotton is best because when it burns it doesn't "stick" to the skin and burns away leaving an ash. Part of my job in the Navy was firefighting. Anything with poly or nylon in it is very, very ughly when the burning material comes in contact with skin. They both melt into the flesh and keep burning. .

It doesn't even have to actually catch on fire to do lots of damage. About 12 years ago or more I was enjoying a cup of hot coffee when my thumb went out and it spilled down my chest to my belly button. I had 2nd degree burns everywhere except where my bra was which was nylon. There I had 3rd degree burns and it was ugly!

I guess I said that I was sorry because I keep writing the same thing. We love our puffy quilts but it usually takes poly battings to get them that way. However, a young babe/child using a poly quilt that catches on fire, will have horrible results. Please use cotton, or natural fiber battings that leave an ash if burnt.

Originally posted by Anne from Guam

.........What I'd really like to know is if we can sell baby quilts that are made of 100 percent cotton material? Since it isn't clothing, is it OK?

I just read this thread and it really piqued my interest, so "A-Googling I did Go" and I found the source of this law..... OK...

This law is called The Flammable Fabrics Act and, it is aimed specifically at fabrics that could be used in making "childs clothing" - and "clothing" is the key word. There are specifics for infants, and for children under certain ages.

Here is the link that describes this law: http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/ffa.html

This law has nothing to do with quilts, or pillows, or sheets, or other types of things that a child might sleep with. From what I could gather by reading this information, children should wear tight fitting pajamas, not oversized shirts or clothing that is too big for the child, that dangles and could catch on fire by a candle or other open flame.

I do believe that there is nothing here in this law that would target a quilt, blankets, pillows, or bedding, etc. We do have a few lawyers on this chat that might know a bit more about quilts for children. I have never heard of anyone being afraid to give a child a hand made quilt because there was a possibility that child could be injured or burned from the quilt. I do think this law is to focus on kids wearing pajamas and candles or open flame catching the pajamas on fire and the child cannot get out of the pajamas because they are on fire and running around panicking and can't get out of the burning clothes.

So....I still plan on making baby quilts and quilts for kids and giving them away.

A few years ago there was a group trying to outlaw the puffy poly comforters and quilts for infants due to possible suffocation issues. I only use cotton thread on baby quilts and try to steer customers to the Angel batting or 100% cotton for beathability and fire. Kids love to wrap their heads in quilts.

I agree with Connie after working in hospitals years ago and seeing what melted poly and plastics do to skin.

This is an interesting topic, as my Guild was just talking about this last night. We make hundreds of "comfort" quilts each year for babies/children, women's cancer center and the VA Hospital. Now there is a concern for the Guild's legal position if there was a fire and a quilt recipient was burned with his/her quilt.

I forwarded the link Shana (thanks, Shana) posted to my Guild President. One of the ladies is asking her husband, an attorney, to look into this law and how it applies to the Guild.

But for me, I think I will stick to cotton and wool, and possibly Dream Angel for all my quilts, unless it is a customer who brings me a batt.

If you look at the content in cot quilts sold in baby stores you can see that alot of them have a polyester inner........ and most of them are made from poly cotton fabric too !!!!

are they all going to get sued if there is a house fire ? I don't think so !!!

I agree with Shana.

(However I edit this post it always reads wrong, !!!) the context of a written post can sometimes be read two ways, and not as intended.

The flame-retardant laws only pertain to children's sleepwear.

If you are concerned for your family and your customers, use and offer comparable products. That is why the fleecy knits and flannels at the fabric store are labeled "not suitable for children's sleepwear".

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I forwarded the link Shana (thanks, Shana) posted to my Guild President. One of the ladies is asking her husband, an attorney, to look into this law and how it applies to the Guild.

Hi Sandy. :) Thanks for having the lawyer checking into this.

As stated before, this law is targeted toward fabrics that are used in childrens "CLOTHING" not anything else. A quilt that catches fire can be let go of .... and it can burn on its own. A child wearing "sleepwear" (pajamas) or clothing that catches fire and the child cannot "escape' from the flames (because the child is wearing these clothes) is an entirely different scenario.

So people... please, let's not spin this up into something more worse!!!! :( Let's not create a bad thing. It is about clothing. "CLOTHING" not quilts, or pillows or bedding or sheets, or teddy bears or curtains or anything else. This law is only about CLOTHING. Please don't spin up into a bad rumor.

S0.......that all said, I will continue to make quilts for babies and children and I will continue to feel good for doing this. I am not hurting anyone by my goodness in giving quilts.

Nuff said.

Off my soap box!!!!!

Archived