Can't get the marks out!!!!! Update!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sylvia,

OMG I love your quilt! (So sorry to here about the disasterous markers....that burns:mad: ) I signed up for a block of the month called Circle of Friends with 1930's fabrics and it's just sitting there because I don't care for the pattern anymore. I think I'll do something more like yours with the fabrics. I saved this to my favorites.

Donna

Sylvia, I love your quilt! You did a fantastic job on it. I don't see anything wrong with this quilt. I'm sorry that you had such trouble with the markers. Grrrrrrrr! I can sort of feel your pain...I just spent 4 evenings frogging three rows of quilting. The SR was set to 13 so really, really tiny stitches to pick out. Just re-quilted tonight and it's off the frame. And the buttons for your quilt, sew those babies on and block the quilt and enter it into a show. Go for it! It's lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wish that I had found this posting last week!! I had used this set of chalks on a differant quilt but only used the white and it just brushed off. The instrctions stated that they all would do this however, I used the yellow chalk on a cusomers top to mark places that needed fixed and now it will NOT come out! I am going to try some of the suggestions you used here and the chalks are going in file 13. I hope that I can get the marks out just small dots in 2 places but I can see them:mad:. Will never do that agian!

I think your quilt is beautiful and I love the dimpled looks, as it now looks like a very well cared for antique.

I had that happen when I first started quilting. I made a very cute baby quilt for my daughter to give as a shower gift. The fabric had frogs in it and so I made a frog stencil to use for some quilting in the borders. I don't remember which marker I used, but when I couldn't get it out, I put the quilt in hte washer with hot water and poured liquid laundry detergent right on those darn stains. :o Well, they were in there permanently!

Now I use only white chalk or the purple markers. I also have a black light bulb I can put in my Liberty and the powder to use.

Sylvia, let the grandchildren spill some cherry kool-aid on it.....you'll never notice the markings again. LOL

I love, love, love this quilt and the quilting is beautiful. I guess my poor ol' eyes are so bad I can barely see the markings you're fretting about. So, here's another thought....if you can't bring yourself to my kool-aid idea, just show it to old folks like me!:D

I, too, have saved it to my favorites!

I have decided to tell everyone that I used mint green threads! I tell you what, when I get the buttons attached I'd post another picture. I am glad you like my quilt. It was fun to piece and quilt! By the way, I got the 30s fabric from Nancy and Linnea Marie and I love them BIG!

It looks great Sylvia - nice and cuddly too! I had those blasted markers too - and they weren't cheap! Same thing happened on the border of a little baby quilt - a customers too!

I now use them for marking my Circle Lord boards start and finish points - They come off of those quite nicely!

Sylvia love your quilting. One thing for sure you already have memories attached to this quilt right? Sorry this happened I can imagine how sick you are but really it is beautiful I can't see anything wrong. Don't you wish you could make the manufacturer pay for it?

Sylvia, I love how you quilted your quilt and I also can't see any problems with marks left behind, must be only something that is visible in person. I still haven't started my quilt like this, got side track with a Dear Jane "Blue" BOM and am also doing one in Kaffe Fassett prints too...I am a gluten for punishment ;)

Joann, I like like the Kaffe style quilts. Please post when you are done. Also Joann, Aren't the Dear Jane quilts made up of zillions of tiny pieces? I think that's why I don't have one!!!! The quilt you are going to do like mine won't take you that long. I found it rather fun to do and easy too!!!

From way down here Silvia, even with my glasses on I can't see anything wrong with this charming quilt you have made. I love it as it indeed does look like a antique, so enjoy!

I do of course understand your disappointment but sometimes I think we are too close to our own work and tend to be too critical!

I believe one of the USA well known quilters tells a very good story in her earlier days about someone asking to buy one of her quilts but she pointed out the mistakes. The buyer walked away, saying something like" I really liked your quilt, thought it was beautiful and would have bought it but now you have pointed out the mistakes I no longer want it".

Thank you anyway for sharing about the markers , "fore warned is fore armed" as they say

Yvonne

Archived