baby block or tumbling block ideas please!/going to CC (pic)

Hi Linda,

Cc's are perfect on tumbling block quilts. It will give a pretty design on the front and the back. If it is a baby quilt, pick a block every now and then and place a letter of the alphabet --just like building blocks. Or if there is room, spell out the baby's name in the blocks.

Well, as long as you ask! I'd love to show you my Tumbling Blocks.

This is my quilt, begun as a take-along hand piecing project, little realizing that in order to match the corners perfectly, the entire !@#$% project would have to be hand-pieced! So it's 98% hand pieced, the 2% being my attempt to join a few rows on the machine.

I quilted it in CC's, and it turned out to my liking except that, of course, I chose the exactly wrong fabric for the backing. It had all those colors, and I thought it would be just so perfect, but it was so busy that that it "buried" the quilting and it only looks wonderful when the light hits it perfectly. I was especially disappointed because I know the rule about the busy backing!

The quilting makes such a nice design on the back and it hardly shows! Sob!

Learn from my mistake.

post--1346190641907_thumb.jpg

Your quilt is really well done. Maybe all the hand piecing kept you out of trouble for awhile. The reason the fabric back looks grey is that the eye or camera combined all the primary and tertiary colors resulting in a value of black (presence of all colors) and the white background turned the black to grey. Look at some of the Pointelism (sp?) painters and you can see that they used this technique to create shadows. Check out the push pin artists who use only primary colors of red, blue, yellow, plus white to create faces in full color. Amazing. This is a cute polka dot pattern which I like as a good choice for the back.

I have a tumbling block in values of green from 2003 that I have never quilted. Can you say "OLD UFO"? Thanks for giving me an idea.

Vicki

Here's a baby blocks that I just finished. I decided to use traveling and grid sashiko designs across the sides of the blocks. I wanted the beautiful Asian prints on the block tops to stand out, so I used a double batt (QD cotton, with QD wool on top) and quilted a simple floral design that was less dense.

This was the first time that I doubled up with the QD wool on top. I was not sure how it would work, since it is so thick, but I thought it worked well and gave great definition to the quilting. It reminds me many years ago when we first started using QD deluxe and supreme loft to get similar results.

Another thing that was fun for me with this quilt (we quilters have to get our kicks where we can find them), was a new spool of Rainbows I bought at MQS called 'Gypsy', and that I got to use some older stock of Aurifil -- my customer loves soft yellows, and the soft clear blue variegated went well, too. When I first started the quilt, I outlined the outer edge of each block with Aurifil 40wt. black. I ended up not having the outline the inner edges, as the quilting fill designs tamped it down well enough. I'll post a photo of the thread as well.

Thanks for listening -- it is nice to have people who talk the same language.

post--13461906456028_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by VIVIANMABLE

Really pretty ! And now I have another pattern I MUST make someday.........my list keeps getting longer. :P

LOL Linda! I know just how you feel :D:P:D:P

LadyLake great idea, putting a little motif on all of the tops of the blocks, never saw that done before...usually just CC, terry twists or some form of line dancing. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ladies!! I think I am going with the CC's. I got the quilt out yesterday and it is going to be a real challenge! This is her very first and I think Last quilt she's ever made. Some C and D cups and some of the seam intersections , I don't know if I am even going to be able to quilt over them! I really tried to press those babies down!!! It is not even on the edges, as she just "stopped " making it. so, I will quilt only up to the "straight " edge and trim the rest off when I am done. I also have to put the binding on this one...which I really dislike doing even to my own quilts. You are probably asking "why are you doing this quilt?" Well, she is a very nice sweet neighbor who got transfered to Florida and when she was packing up to move she found this and she had started it YEARS ago for her hubby! She asked me to quilt it for her and of course , I can't say no to a dear friend!! :) So, off I go to tackle this quilt!

post--13461906512139_thumb.jpg

Archived