What maintenance after a year in storage?

Got my Millie set up after a year in storage. What kind of maintenance do I need to do to get her in tip top shape?

She is a 2007 and I bought her when she was two, used her a year and then had to put her away for a year.

I appreciate your help and I can't wait to get quilting again!

Michelle

I'm not an expert, but blow the dust off everything--inside and out. Drop a good amount of oil on the wicks and wait a bit for it to work its way down. Look in the manual for the place to oil the rocker arm (inside the left side cover--looks like a face. The spring can be deflected and there is a hole to add oil.) Douse the bobbin area well with WD40, run for a bit, the wipe out and oil well. Then let it run at slow speed for several minutes. You will be able to tell by the sound if your Milli is happy.

Are you excited to start up again?:)

I didn't have my machine for more than a year. The big thing was oil. I cleaned everything really well , Took all of the covers of f and blew out all the dust including from the back and computer boards, check and cleaned out the bushing, cleaned the wheels, sprayed out the hook assembly with WD 40, oiled everything really well and let it soak in a few hours warmed up the machine slowly and made sure everything sounded perfect. Definately do the rocker arm--if you can't find the directions let me know and I'll try to scan a photo in and send it to you and the hook assembly. You will probably have to adjust the needle up/down.

Thanks so much. I don't even know where the bushing is? Is that in the regular manual or do you have to have the maintenance one? What about the rocker arm?

I know that I will have to adjust the needle up/down because it started acting up before I started using it.

Also, I don't have an air compressor can I blow out with canned air?

Michelle

Canned air has water in it and can cause rust if you use it long enough. Follow what Linda and Jeri said and you'll be just fine. If you have a Tap Plastic close by you might want to take down the left side panel in the front of the machine and get one that is made of polycarbonite. Just leave them the panel and they will make you a new one, only clear so you can see the inside of the front of the machine where it counts. They will give you the factory one back. zeke....................

Michelle, some of the canned air is labeled no moisture. Don't shake it while you are using it though. The cheapest I found was at Wal-Mart back in the computer area. Before I bought my air compressor I used a hand air pump most of the time-- one used to blow up air mattresses. I hate paying the prices they want for canned air. I'd use my canned air for the computer panels and now and then for some "extra" cleaning.

Doesn't take many cans of air to pay for a little air compressor. Plus you can use it for all kinds of other jobs around your house!!

If you have the old brown wheels you may also have some trouble with them after a period of non-use. If you are having trouble with them you might want to upgrade to the MnM's they are awesome!!

Also take a little time and clean your rails including the ones on the carriage really well, check them for any tiny dings, tiny dings can be carefully sanded off with extremely fine sandpaper or emery cloth.

Archived