Wacom Bamboo Tablets

I got mine about five years ago. It's a Bamboo Fun, model CTE-450, small with an active 3.75x6 inch tablet. I use the pen exclusively and I love it! I draw and digitize my own designs, I use it instead of a mouse on my laptop and I've never missed my mouse. It came with a mouse but you can only use it on the active area of the tablet = useless. I'm not really computer savvy, but it does have a couple of programmable function buttons. I've never fooled with them. I keep it simple. I paid $99 for it online. I've looked at new ones and prices vary low and high. It depends on what you want to do with it. I've never "needed" a bigger tablet because the active space is relative to your screen. I can zoom in as close as necessary, and zoom out. I also use AutoSketch for drawing. Works great for all!

Good luck. Another reason I got the tablet is because of carpal tunnel symptoms. I have no problem with the pen. The mouse was killing me.

Bonnie R

Hi Sharon,

I am curious as to what you plan to do with the Bamboo tablet.

I primarily used the tablet to overlay and draw quilting designs on pictures of quilt tops. I started doing this after I took Carla Barretts "quilt whispering" class over on MQResources.

However, last year I purchased an iPad 1 and installed an app. called "Adobe Ideas" and use it to draw with instead. I realize the Bamboo tablet is way less expensive than an iPad. But, if you have an iPad or are considering a future purchase--- I just wanted to let you know about this very useful App.

post--13461906453587_thumb.jpg

Angie,

What I plan to do with it, when I get one, is basically draw on a picture of the quilt/quilt block.

I did not know that you could use an iPad with an app to do the same thing. So with the iPad, do you have a "pen" to use or what? I would love an iPad, but that is more $$.

Hi Sharon,

Yes, you can import pictures with the camera kit onto your iPad and use them to draw over----There are a lot of iPad 1's for sale now on places like local Craigs list and ebay at reduced prices since iPad 2 came out. Of course a new iPad 2 with the built in camera would be great!---I primarily wanted to mention the "Adobe Idea" app, just in case you already had an iPad.

Otherwise, I think the Bamboo Tablet is great! I still use mine when I'm sitting at my desk top iMac. I use Pixelmator on the iMac to draw with the Bamboo.

You'll have fun with this drawing tool! Amazon has some good prices on Wacom tablets.

Angie, after you have "doodled' on the iPad with this app, are you able to save the doodle in a format and transfer it to your iMac in a format you would be able to use with other programs such as Art and Stitch or Pre-Design Studio?

My husband has an iPad and I'm wondering if I could doodle and then transfer the design so I could digitize it.

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ

Sue,

The only thing I have done with the drawings is Email them to myself. They show up in my iMac emails as .pdf files which I can print off. I don't know very much about Stitch or Pre-Design Studio. So, I can't be of much help with that part of using the Adobe drawing app.

Sharon,

I forgot to answer your question regarding what you draw with on the Adobe Idea app. You can use your finger, or you can get an iPad stylus which is just a short rubber tipped type pen. You can set the dimension of the drawing line. So, even with your finger tip, it will draw very wide, or very narrow.

Hope this helps answer your question.

I have the Bamboo tablet and would like to sell it. It was $289 (I think) when new early last year. Will sell for $75 plus shipping. It is the small size - PTK-440 model. The screen size is about 5" x 7" I have everything - even the box. There was some free software that came with it that you can download that I could send you the keys to. I can't guarantee that they would work, but I find that most companies will send you a new key if you ask...

I just don't find that I need to design quilt patterns. I just use pantos.

• 2 years later...

Archived