on the search for quality child's sewing machine

Hi All

I'd like to get a good quality sewing machine for my 5 year old granddaughter who is very excited about sewing. Bought what turned out a very cheezy one at JoAnns and a waste of money.

I've seen vintage ones online and thought that would be awesome and most likely last forever. Want an electric one, not hand crank.

What is your opinion/experience with this and what would you recommend. Don't mind spending some money on it as long as it will hold up and am able to get replacement parts and needles for it.

Of course, I want it to be safe. Not ready to allow her to use my featherweight yet. I've looked online and it's rather overwhelming since I'm not really sure what to look for.

Thanks! and look forward to your responses

I own 3 or 4 Husqvarna Huskystars. they are good machines. the 207 model is a good basic machine that my kids started using a few years back. They can still be found on ebay..even though no longer being made. Huskystar 207, 217, 219 and 224 are the four different models they made, if memory serves me correctly.

There is also a new style machine Huskystar...but I don't know as much about them.

I don't know what you want to spend, but I bought my daughter a Bernina Activa when she was young. We went through several different machines before settling on the Activa. What kind of machines do you own other than your Featherweight? One of the reasons I bought the Activa was because the attachments were interchangeable with my Bernina attachments. Yes, the Berninas are a little more expensive, but they are good machines in my opinion. Don't get a Bernette, though! They are not well made at all. Just my two centavos...

If you want something basic for her to learn on, then I would go with the Featherweight or a Singer 301. Both are very good machines with just a staight stitch. Personally, I sew with the 301 and just love it to death. zeke..............

I love the Janome Jem Gold, I teach children starting from 5 yrs old to sew. This machine is perfect for them - mechanical not computerized - simple to thread. They run about $199 online.

It is lightweight and a great little travel machine, too!!!

take a look at the bernette by bernina.

i have seen many for sale second hand and they are good little machine for starting out. also, they can be used for toting to class if she sticks with it and gets something with more bells and whistles.

I love my Janome gem also,,,, it's lightweight and has the stitches I need for classes. Just basic and not too complicated. It also comes with a cute little bag to carry it in! I heard somewhere that the Hello Kitty machine from Target is the same machine and it sometimes goes on sale.

The Burnette H70, is a terrific little machine. I take it to sew day at Guild, and she's not let me down yet. Have had her I think close to 2 years.

Some Generic feet fit real well, and cost a mere fraction of a Bernina foot.

RitaR

ok, I'll give the the other side of the coin or should I say $$$$$$$$$. I let my grandaughter use my Janome 6600 because she can slow the speed down and loves all the decorative stitches. Even though it is computerized, so is she. She's been playing on the computer since she was 2.

Whatever you do get her a real sewing machine not a kid's toy. Those aren't worth the money you spend on them. You can sometimes find used gems on Craig's list, e-bay, garage sales, thrift shops or even the sew and vac shops or sewing machine shops for not many $$.

Wow. Thanks everyone. I'll check into these to see what I come up with.

I assume they are all readily available online.

I have 2 featherweights, 2 Kenmore 1970's machines and a 60+ year old Singer I grew up sewing on. I was older than 5 though when I started sewing and the older singer I grew up using is too fast for a child.

I like the idea of a machine with adjustable sewing speeds.

Lots of "food" for thought. ;)

Okay.....spent quite a bit of time last night researching the suggested machines. It's mind boggling with all the model numbers and such!

Anyone have a sturdy nice beginner machine they would like to sell keeping my 5 year old granddaughter in mind?

I'm also watching a Janome Jem on ebay. Can't remember the model number though......! :)

There is no question in my mind. Buy an old Singer Featherweight, and the child will have a great sewing machine the rest of her/his life. They always work and are easy to service. No polymers to degrade and fall apart. Strait stitch only, but what a strait stitch! I've tried others, but nothing compares. Great case for transporting as well. You can find a nice one on e-Bay for about $300. Less if your are handy at putting "estate sale" machines back in service. Good luck. Jim

Thanks Jim

I have 2 featherweights. I will consider letting her use one of them. I have done maintenance and replacement of parts myself after hosting a Featherweight RX class. Decided to hold off buying anything right now.

Thanks everyone for your input! :)

• 1 year later...

If you're interested in a vintage machine, a Singer 99 would be a good choice too. They're pretty easy to find, and shouldn't be too pricey. They're a nice, basic straight stitch machine. I would also echo the votes for the Singer 301 and Featherweight too! I think a hand crank would be great too.

Diane

Thanks, Vickie, for bringing this to the top. I just ordered my 8 year old granddaughter a Brother 10 stitch machine. I would have loved to get her a Singer featherweight but alas, funds are limited for this type of last minute purchase. She already has more gifts than her little brother. Gramma's gonna be in trouble. lol

Archived