Where did you put your machine?

kennan100

I've done several searches on this subject and am coming up empty. Thought it would be an interesting thread!:P

Where did you put your first machine? How long ago was that?

Where is your machine now? A room in your house? The basement? Did you knock out walls and remodel? Do you have a separate studio building?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I purchased my machine, almost 3 years ago, we put it in the basement. Our basement is finished and there is lots of room so I had my computer, my machine, my DSM, all my supplies, etc. But no room for kids when they came home for Christmas. Just over a year ago we moved our bedroom to the middle sized bedroom in our house - on the first floor - and moved my quilt studio up to my once spacious master bedroom. It is almost as if this room was made for quilting, but I feel like a sardine in that smaller bedroom.

When I bought my first machine in 1998, I put it in the second family room in the basement and it was great. I had a door that went out onto a patio, a couple of windows, a TV, computer and a sofa in there. The room is about 28 x 38. It stayed nice and cool in the summer and plenty warm in the winter. We also have bedrooms and bathrooms in the basement so it's like part of the house.

Then about 4 years ago, we got the bright idea to move the quilting to a house in town because my son was going to high school and we found a house real close to the school. The machine is in what would be the master bedroom and it's about 16 x 20 and I feel pretty cramped in here. The family room in this house is probably 25 x 30 and I keep thinking I might move the machine in there but so far I've just thought about it and haven't done it.

I live in a Victorian house. I have lots of rooms, but all are small. I ended up putting it in my living room (12 ft) table and it just fits. Other than our bedroom, it was the next largest room. Now that my son has moved out, I have thought about moving it to the basement as I could have all my sewing stuff in one place,but like looking out the window when I am thinking and would have no windows in the basement.

Char

Interesting question. My machine is in a bedroom (11 x 14) that has become my sewing room. It shares the space with a 6 foot table which holds my cutting mat and sewing machines and a 6 foot tall bookshelf. The longarm takes up almost the whole room. I just barely have room to squish around the one end. The other end is against the wall.

Guest Linda S

My machine is in what used to be my attic. 16 x 25'. I refinished it, adding insulation to the walls and drywalling before bringing the machine in through the window at the end of the room. I love my little nest in the attic.

Linda

Kennan,

I placed my machine in our Florida room, along with two embroidery machines, my pet bird,my desk and a television.

It looks out into the back yard where I can look out over our 100 acre farm. I get to see my Cowboy boot shaped swimming pool and my 6 dogs.

Yes, I said Cowboy boot. As you can guess I love horses and might as well say all animals.

There is also a fountain that has a statue of a colt standing in it (when I get the linner fixed that is) along with the frogs that the dogs love to chase. :)

My home is 11000 square feet. I used to have my mom in there with me, but I'm going to re-arrange my office and one bedroom which is in the other part of the house and put her there (she talks to much and makes me nervious) so she can still make the purses that we give away when customers purchase a car from my husband's car dealership.

Please don't think I'm bragging. I just wanted you all to know a little bit about me.

I live in this big house all by myself. My son Justin, he will be 22 in January and my hubby have their own home. I know this might sound strange to a lot of people, but it works and we get along a lot better. Before we couldn't walk down the hall without giving the other person the evil eye. My hubby and myself that is.

This has brought us a lot closer. My husband Billy, didn't like being on the farm when we would have horse shows here so he decided to keep the house where we lived before we built the farm house.

Well, I just couldn't leave all of the horses and dogs. So, Justin and I loaded up and moved to the farm, where we loved it very much. Billy does come out to the farm to visit and I go to his house and we talk on the phone a million times a day and we go to luch or dinner. So, it's not like we don't share our time together and we go on vacations together.

That's how I met Dea, from Tampa who sold me my long arm machine.

I hope you all don't think bad of me, but I felt at the time it was better for my son and he is the most inportant thing or being in my life.

OH, I almost forgot!! Jennifer the rabbit, her home is in a glass fish tank, yep it's a 150 gallon tank and she loves it.

Donna Gale Hays

Milli

Fisherville, KY

Hi Everyone,

In the old house the room was about 15 X 10 and I have a 14ft table, very tight fit, it was a room in the basement.

Since we have moved to a bigger house in another town I took over what used to be the formal dining room and its 17 x 12 with windows all around on two of the walls. The LA is pushed up to one wall so I get plenty of walking in but its fine for me.

DH and I are talking about putting up a new building so I have lots and lots of room for my future plans.

Char

I just got my Millie in early September and put it down in my unfinished basement. If I couldn't get the 12 foot rails around the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the stairs, it was going in my living room. Can you tell I live by myself?

Donna, that sounds like the perfect set up to me!!! Where do I sign up!

LoL

Come on down. I could use some friends and also some help learning how to quilt and piece for that matter.

See, all of this just came up on a whim. I don't know anything about all of this. I have always liked quilts so, one day I just decided to give it a try.

Any way back to your question. I live in Fisherville Kentucky, is right outside of Louisville. You know, one of those towns where you blink and you miss it.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but come on over, it's just a hope and a skip from friendship and I'll serve up a mean Pepsi. :D

Have a wonderful day, and thank you so much for replying, you don't know what that ment to me. I really didn't think that anybody would reply. I thought I'd probably just lost any hope of starting up some friendships.

I just believe in being honest.

Donna

:)

Mine has been in a prtially finished basement room (11 1/2 by about 16) Cramped with everything I had crammed in there. I'm getting divorced and have moved in with my Mom for several months and my machine will be in 1/2 of a large 2 car garage--I have the carpet down waiting for my machine. Husband is holding my machine and most of my quilting supplies hostage--I'm doing the jumping through legal hoops to get my things. Am not missing him but missing my my machine terribly. When I buy a new house sometime in the next year I will buy it with my quilting space as a priority.

jeri

Ok, loving the nest in the attic. I saw your studio in Webshots, Linda,(along with your saddle stool! ;) Nest is exactly what crossed my mind when I saw it. The Florida room with a view sounds like heaven, Donna. My Mom lived with me for 15years and I know what you mean about making you nervous, and I'd probably still be married if I had your setup with Billy! Close but not too close works for me! Your pool would fit in perfectly here in Texas, I'm sure there are a few of those around here!:D Giving me something to dream about, Ladies!

I also think we need to load up and meet at Jeri's and help her get her machine and supplies back! We can picket him everywhere he goes and dress funny to do it! We could make a huge quilt telling all about him and enter it in lots and lots of shows.....or better yet, put it on ebay in every catagory! :cool: When it comes to men and meanies I'm just not very tolerant, I should have been a superhero! Anymore ideas? We have a machine to rescue!!!

Interstate 64 borders my farm. You can see it from the express way. It's a ranch style home and there are two barns on the property.

I have twin brothers. I think I might know them. Is the man's name Mike. (I won't put last name) The live on my same road. There are two Fisherville Rd's.

If it is, Mike can tell you how to get in touch with me.

Please forgive me for answering everyone on the same page, I'm not feeling very good today. I haven't been getting much sleep the last few day's. Heck the other day I never went to bed at all. So, after I finish here I'm gonna lay down for a while.

Thank you all so very much for reading and replying to my message. God must have been looking out for me, because this week has been bad for me.

You see, I lost my Dad last year on December 2nd and the last to day's have been ruff. He was my step dad and I miss him so much. I'm setting here crying while I type this.

Anyway God must have sinced that I needed to make some new friends and it looks like you all have been elected to be there for me.

Thank you all so very,very much. You'll never know what this has ment to me.

Sincerly,

Donna Gale Hays

Fisherville, Kentucky

P.S. Thank you God for smileing down on me today!!!!!!!!!

:) :cool: I really needed some sunshine.

Guest Linda S

Oh my. Jeri I do think that we need to come and tie your soon to be ex-husband to a chair and help you load up your quilting machine. Then we can set it up for you in your new place. Geez! I am so glad I am a single woman sometimes.

Donna - hang in there darlin'. I lost both my parents when I was 12. Missing them never goes away, but life has to go on. I firmly believe that he is with you, and knows how much you miss him.

Here is a poem for you, written by a dying British soldier:

Do not stand at my grave and weep,

I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am the thousand winds that blow,

I am diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripend grain.

I am gentle autumnal rain.

When you waken in the morning hush,

I am the soft uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there, I did not die.

No one is ever gone who lives in your heart forever. Chin up. We're here.

Linda

Hi, Donna (fastazzu)

Just logged in to read the posts and I had to stop and just give a great big...

((((( hug )))))

to you way down there in Kentucky from me way up here in Alaska.

Donna, please add me to you ever-growing-longer list of friends. I would be honored. :)

No matter how big or small our houses are, or how much stuff we have, the one thing we humans have in common is we all need love and friends...the basic stuff...and most importantly we all need a longarm quilting machine. LOL!!

You are loved, dear lady.

Keep in touch, friend.

Shana

Jeri, I think Linda's offer of tying him up in a chair is too kind. I vote for smacking him upside the head with a baseball bat as surely that would get his attention.

It sounds to me like he is using your stuff as a means of blackmail. Work with your lawyer as I seriously doubt your ex can get away with this long term.

In the meantime, start piecing up a storm. One, for the mental relaxation it will give you and two, so you will have lots of lovely tops to quilt when your machine is no longer in a hostage situation.

Gail

If you need some help, I would like to tar and feather him for you. Us Country girls can think of several things to do to him and they wouldn't be pretty.

I don't know why, I have a feeling that you are gonna get your machine back and it's gonna be real soon. Please trust me, I don't know why but he is going to do this and he is gonna act reasonable, not perfect, but it's a start.

God Bless You, and If there is anyway I could help just shout.

Thank you for poem, I've printed it off and I'm gonna keep it with me.

I would love to put you on my friends list, but I don't know how, I'm doing good being able to post a message and I did that quite by accident.

So, if somebody could tell me how to operate this thing I would be glade to put you and whom ever else would like to be added.

I'm trying to talk Dea into coming down (oops, guess it would be up) :D to Kentucky to go to the Quilt show. She said that she might and ask if she could bring friends. So, if any of you all know Dea Crandall and would like to stay here with us come on down. We are 3 hours away from Paduca. We could have a ball. ;):P

If I don't have enough room, we'll make pallets. LOL We are going to a quilt show, right.

Thank you all so very much!!!! I'm, feeling a lot better, thanks to this wonderful buch of people that I have been fortunate enough to make new FRIEND'S WITH. I'm gunna close for now and I look forward to hearing from some more new friends.

Thanks again,

Donna

P.S. Until they can put me in a spell checker, your all gunna have to put up with my bad spelling.

God Bless each and everyone of you!!

Your new friend

Donna

Linda,

That is a great poem...I, too, lost my younger sister this past February. She was only 42 and shouldn't have pasted on...but we won't discuss the malpractice here. So the poem easily brings tears to my eyes...I am such a wimp.

My quilting room is above the garage. When we bulit this house, I planned for the room to be big enough for a quilting machine and now I have two in there. The room is 12 x 22 with not much room around each machine, but it works.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Linda,

Wanted to tell you I liked the poem too. Didn't want to make everyone sad by saying my sister passed away 6 years ago this Friday. We were best of friends and she was a hoot - never a dull moment. I miss her so much and that line that says, "when you wake in the morning hush..." it's those quiet moments that can get you. I guess we have all be touched by losing someone we love a lot.

Now, on to the quilting studio....I am trying to clean mine up so I can take pictures and post them....since the Chiefs are NOT playing football I have more time.;)

I put 'Carriebelle' in the living room. We have a den and only used the LR in winter [ for the fireplace ]. Needless to say, won't be toasting any marshmellows this year. :P The poem is VERY nice, I've lost my youngest son [39 ] and my mother in the last 2 months. I'm sure some of you know you can quilt while crying ! Glenda

Archived