Where did you put your machine?

kennan100

Since I don't have my longarm yet (will be some time middle of next year) future plans are to have my quilting/sewing room in my "soon to be remodeled" original garage. We just built a new garage addition this summer for the vehicles, and space for hubby's shop upstairs. We're currently sheetrocking, putting floors down, etc. Once that new garage is done, we can start to remodel the old (original) garage area (approx 900 sf). The 900 sf area in the old garage will have a sewing room, a bathroom and another bedroom (lots of big windows to bring in the natural sunlight), so I am looking forward to having plenty of room for a longarm to fit easily in there.

Linda Steller, thanks for posting that lovely poem "Do not stand at my grave and weep..." My four sisters and I had that poem engraved in plexiglass and mounted it on my dad's grave when he died. Ten years ago this coming December 28, my dad died suddenly from a heart attack (he was only 56 years old). Much too young. Needless to say, this 10 year anniversary has me and my sisters filled with sadness and a little trepidation. I love that poem and I love my daddy. Thanks again for posting it.

Shana

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've enjoyed every one of your stories and can identify with those who have lost someone close. This last Sat. would have been my dad's 88th birthday. He passed away in 1987 and it still seems like yesterday. I spent the day with friends at the Women of Faith conference in Portland, Oregon and it kept me from thinking too much if you know what I mean. Linda, my mom kept that poem in a frame next to a picture of my dad until she passed away in 1997. I now have that in a book case that I see all the time. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Onewise- What a neat studio. And SOOOOOO CLEAN ! ! ! I would take a picture of mine, but it would take some time to clean it up. I am using our family room as my studio. It has french doors (with curtains) off of the dining room so I can shut the doors and then you don't see all the "stuff". My room is 12 x 15 and I have my 12 Milli named YGG ( for You Go Girl ) in there along with my DM, ironing surface (2' x 4' padded plywood over some roll around 3 drawer units) plus a 72" tall book case and 72" cupboard with doors on it and my mothers old sewing cabinet. It's kind of tight space, but I can get around to the back of my machine, and there is plenty of room for what I need. However, I am envious of those of you who have these BIG rooms. DH and I are thinking of trying to find another house that is more suited to YGG and all that goes with her. Property prices have gone up so much, we will have to do some looking and see if that is possible or if we need to remodel - YIKES!

Hi Donna, Welcome to this site. to everyone who is still grieving for those who are no longer with us. I too have lost my mom, dad, both brothers, my gram and every girlfriend I ever had. for a long time i was afraid to have friends but God is so good and faithful to heal those broken places. I now have the privilege of doing grief work. Linda, I have always loved that poem. thank you for sharing it with us.

Now to where I have my machine. It is in what used to be my husband's wood shop, a big old metal building away from the house my space is 19 x19. We spent the summer putting in insulation, wall board, new electricty and a french door behind the sliding door. My DH broke his ribs in the process and so I had the privilege of working with a couple of 15 year old boys. what a time we had. So I went out to the shop to work tonight, and what to my wondering eyes did appear, a reindeer? nope 4 HUGE PUDDLES of water, two of them on my table!!!!.:(:o thank goodness my machine was not under the drip. so I dried everything off, tarped the whole 14 feet, unplugged everything, turned off the light and closed the door. No use worrying about it until the rain stops. Oh the fun this adventure has been. I finally got the tension bug fixed and was so excited. I was going to practice all week and really get to know my machine, put my zippers on, etc. Guess I will have to piece another top with my DSM which I brought into the house. Oh well, thank goodness for tops to piece.

to all of you, have a blessed day and Donna you have a bunch of new friends.:D

Our house has a attached 2 car garage that was turned into what was called a game room. It was like this when we bought it...LUCKY ME :)

So I have a big room but always want more for all my quilting things. I have 2 big sliding windows to look over the front yard and a smaller one to look towards the road to see when someone is coming.

One of my quilting customers who has become a friend over the past few years says she is looking for MR T of A Team for me (grins). He'll be sorry in the end that he has stopped my income and held all my quilting things hostage--tying him up in a chair will be mild. Can't piece much without supplies. Luckily I have my customer quilts as I managed to move those before he knew I was leaving. Right now I have to do the jump through legal hoops with my atty--hoping for a court order soon as it is in the works.

Thanks for all your support. jeri

Hi,

I took over the formal living room and dining room when we moved into this house, no questions asked.. I had a few doors put in and removed the stairway rail to add a wall for another door. I have dogs and there are times they can't come in... Customers quilts :) I really don't miss the rooms and it's nice and convenient for me.. Great lighting!

All in total I think I have 31' * 16', it's nice and somehow it's nice and full :)

Soooo I've been sizing up the unfinished basement, lighting is my only hold off right now.. It is about 1200sq ft (sweet) ...

:cool:

My Liberty (will just have to come up with a name) is in the back parlor of an old farm house, it is just off the livingroom and there is a large entryway so that we see everything from livingroom so I am looking for a large folding screen to put up when there is company. Originally I ordered a 14 ft table because our rooms are big enough, right? Well no so a call back to see if I can't change that to a 12' table and that it fitted into a niche that husband built into to one wall to make it work. He finished the rest of the niche into thread storage. The orderly (usually) is my favorite part of the room. See if I can send a small enough photo.

Machine is in front of north window and I planted a blue garden in the view.

My first quilter was a table top affair that I set up at one end of the basement family room. It was OK, a finished room, enough space and close to my sewing room. My Liberty went into the same location a year later....had to bring her table parts in through the dinky window, tho!! It was OK, but the lighting was a problem. No real wndows, no natural light, and kind of depressing to head for the basement on beautiful sunny days.

We decided to add a Sunroom. This very nice large addition (16.6 X 24) is right off the kitchen and houses Annabelle and a nice family area. My sewing room is still in the basement, and it is a great retreat area away from most interruptions...but Annabelle and I play in the sun room when ever possible!!

Cheryl in Iowa

Thanks for the pictures! Just loving these spaces, I can't wait to get a machine. The more I research the more I want one! Can't wait for the Houston show and my first classes. My mother is just walking around with her mouth hanging open! I've never been one to sew, in faxt the first quilts I peiced I did on my greatgrandmothers singer treadle machine! I have sewing machine issue's, although my Featherweight and I seem to be getting along well... I saw Linda's topic on her chainstiching machine so now I'm doing searches for that...Ha! In for a dime, in for a dollar! Have decided on the 14' frame, I've gotten that far. I keep ending up doing these monster quilts for myself and family, we are talking Kingsize bedspreads. I'm handquilting my grandaughters quilt right now, sure wish I had my machine!

I too took over the living room. We added a sunroom to the house and that is where we live most of the time. The living room ended up being a place to pass through to get to the back bedrooms and my Great Dane's home. This is her waiting for my Liberty. She also took over the couch as her bed. My hubby had a chance to put in a pool table, but he just wasn't quick enough. LOL. My actual sewing room is just off this room so that makes it handy. We live in the middle of no where in South Dakota, so have a great view out the window.

Dear Donna :

I lost my mother in May, 2000 and my father on Dec. 7, 2002. Ironically, he was also a WW2 veteran. We, all, remember Dec, 7 as the day Pearl Harbor was bombed. :( I still miss them, more than words can say, but then I ask myself, who is better off: the one who goes or the one who stays. My folks are "still with me." I look around my home and see the countless of things, they made, gave, or helped me with. My dad and I built a doghouse together and my mom and I worked on a quilt together. The numerous memories of our family gatherings, love, laughter, and prayer that we shared give me peace in those difficult times for me. In my heart, my parents will never die. I hear myself, quite often saying, I need to ask mom about........? There will become a time, when you realize, all the things you need to know, there is an answer out there somewhere.

I still cry too Donna, always will. My siblings and I, refer to these times as "Mother and Daddy moments."

Be at peace with yourself, my quilting sister, know that your loved one now sleeps in the arms of our Heavenly Father and they are at peace.

Keep smiling, Lyn

When my husband and I bought out home, I walked to our "den" doorway, looked around, and said, "I will die in this room." It now, our sewing room. It is a perfect fat quarter measuring 18 X 22 feet, with built in bookcases, cupboards, counter top, fireplace, and corner window viewing the backyard, where countless of wild "critters" come to visit. My machine, Kelly Darlin' is located between the sliding glass doors and the corner window, so I can look out into God's beautiful world.:P

In this room, is dear husband's, also a quilter, and mine, sewing spaces. Together we have an embroidery machine and six other sewing machines. Not all, are set up, only there when needed. DH makes beautiful quilts, both machine and by hand. We refer to him as "Mr. Tiny Stitches" as he "makes new fabric" with his stitches.:D

When we made the decision to buy a long arm. DH researched the Internet, consumer reports, chat rooms for machines and came down to two possibilities. APQS won because of the low maintenance versus the Gammill. Ooooh, dirty word: :mad: Neither DH or I ever had the opportunity to demo on a machine until we actually bought ours. The first time, we ever touched a long arm was on our own machine. While, I do love Kerlly Darlin', we, both, wished we had known about MQS, where we could have demo on the different APQS machines that were available at that time. Most likely, we would have bought a smaller machine than the Millie. Friends, who have asked me about wanting to buy a machine and what to look for, not only do I endorse APQS, but I tell them about MQS, where they can demo on all the available machines, plus the discounts that are given at these shows.:D They love that part!

Keep smiling, Lyn

HI,

I was fortunate in that we were building a new home when I purchased my first longarm. So of course a room was planned for my new adventure. It was built as a screened in porch but we soon added a vinyl floor and windows. It looks out into my backyard which backs up to a golf course. I've only had one golf ball come through in six years. You really have to be a poor golfer to hit my room.

I too love that poem. I have a recording of it by a famous celtic harper. Playing the harp is one of my other passions.

Kay

Originally posted by Irishquiltr

When my husband and I bought out home, I walked to our "den" doorway, looked around, and said, "I will die in this room." It now, our sewing room. It is a perfect fat quarter measuring 18 X 22 feet, with built in bookcases, cupboards, counter top, fireplace, and corner window viewing the backyard, where countless of wild "critters" come to visit. My machine, Kelly Darlin' is located between the sliding glass doors and the corner window, so I can look out into God's beautiful world.:P

In this room, is dear husband's, also a quilter, and mine, sewing spaces. Together we have an embroidery machine and six other sewing machines. Not all, are set up, only there when needed. DH makes beautiful quilts, both machine and by hand. We refer to him as "Mr. Tiny Stitches" as he "makes new fabric" with his stitches.:D

When we made the decision to buy a long arm. DH researched the Internet, consumer reports, chat rooms for machines and came down to two possibilities. APQS won because of the low maintenance versus the Gammill. Ooooh, dirty word: :mad: Neither DH or I ever had the opportunity to demo on a machine until we actually bought ours. The first time, we ever touched a long arm was on our own machine. While, I do love Kerlly Darlin', we, both, wished we had known about MQS, where we could have demo on the different APQS machines that were available at that time. Most likely, we would have bought a smaller machine than the Millie. Friends, who have asked me about wanting to buy a machine and what to look for, not only do I endorse APQS, but I tell them about MQS, where they can demo on all the available machines, plus the discounts that are given at these shows.:D They love that part!

Keep smiling, Lyn

Lyn,

I appreciate the heartfelt words and I'm sorry that you have lost Loved one's too. You seem to have a good way of looking at things. I'll try to remember the good times. It's just hard for me this time of year. That's another story maybe someday I'll tell that one. It's sad though.

I'm gonna try to be in better spirits though. I think it's because I've been stuck in the house all week. Even if I just go to the grocery store this week, I'm gonn get off this farm.

God Bless you and thank you again for your kind words.

Sincerly,

Donna (fastazzu)

The loved ones we have lost are NEVER very far from our hearts....Donna, may your memories be strong and your heart warm when you think of your dad. I lost my papa in '87 and mom in '85 and I still at times forget she's gone until I reach for the phone to call her about a special recipe and remember I have to call a sister cuz she's not here.

And you Missy Diane....just look at you....I have created a monster. :P;)

Hi Kenna,

I have my Millennium in my shop: I own a very large quilt-, embroidery and giftshop, where we have a plenty of room to set up the machine. I have the 12' Millennium, and my husband made seperations with room for bolts of quilt fabric around the machine, so is seems like a large room in a room, because I don't want my customers to be able to touch the machine,and on the other hand we have plenty of room to stash the bolts of fabric for customers to buy them - beacuse of the large machine, lots of bolts had to be removed from the walls, and this way we had a perfect solution to have them availble anyway.

Does anyone of you gives customers the opportunity to work on the LA too? Or am I the only one careful and possesive about the machine to do not want to touch anyone else the machine?

I have the machine in my shop because this is the only place to work on it: the customers can see the machine, and it is therefore its own advertisement. it works, because now I get quilts to quilt, and if I had the machine in my home - away from my shop - they wouldn't see it, and would not know from first hand that I can quilt their quilts...

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Mine is in a tiny space off to the side it was going to be a sun room but I thought it would be better served as a quilting room , I was going to use the cellar but that would be just "too faraway" plus my doggy is afraid to go down stairs wouldnt allow me to be there he barks everytime i leave him, yes he is a mommas boy, so I use a tiny room 8 feet by 12 feet, and put "Joy" on some castors. and love every moment in there.

Hugs and hugs and hugs!!!!! to you all!! I lost my sis 10 years ago and my grandpa, the man of my heart 8 years ago and my granny 2 years ago after a 10 yr bout with Alzhiemers. My folks divorced, they each chose their new families so my grandparents and sisters were all we had. The fact is we never get over, but we do get thru it. I just thank god each day for the sweet memories and i cherish the little relics that are left. I am so blessed to have been blessed by them!

Hugs and hugs and hugs!!!!!conniek

Oh!! I forgot to say...i finally got my first machine last November, and It is in Quilt Country in Lewsiville Texas! I am fortunate enough to be in a fabulous retail location and I work with the most wonderful women on the planet. Visit our web sight at www.quiltcountry.com. there are pictures of us and i am sure i will be esy to spot cause i am the cute chubby one. (hee hee) conniek

Archived