Batting tape

I saw in a catalogue the batting tape-you can iron batting pieces together....Has any one tried this? Does it work? It is a great idea & I am tired of placemats, & tablerunners to use up the batting:P I have sewn together pieces but really did NOT enjoy it.

I read awhile ago about some quilters using the small cuts of batt on their Swiffers. Also a great idea.

You can just use strips of iron on stuff. I forget what it is called. Rather than buying the roll.

And yes, I cut and use the left overs for my Swifter.

If I have a long piece left over, I staple it on my design wall. The whole wall is left over batting! Extra insulation too!! :P

I just recieved two rolls. Haven't tried it yet. It's called batting seam tape and made in the USA! Yea!!!

It's 1.5 inches by 10 yards! I think I paid $6 per roll.

I've been sewing my pieces together with the step zig zag stitch. And that has worked well but once in a while if I'm not careful I'll pull one side.

I saw the tape last year at one of the quilt shows, but I didn't buy it. I decided to cut 2" (or so) strips of the Pellon SF101 that I used to back t-shirts when I make t-shirt quilts. It seams (:P) to work fine. However...I found it works best on flat, cotton batting. I tried several swatches and decided the loft is compressed when ironing the strips on and also the polys have a tendency to melt very slightly.

Conclusion: I would use this method again, but only on flat cotton batts. But, that's just my opinion.

It's great stuff! I'm off to buy more rolls next time I go to the wholesaler. I've used it on wool, and it did compress the loft slightly, but not enough to be noticeable. Poly, I would be concerned about.

It's lighter than the pellon, and doesn't take as long to set either. My suggestion would be to use it on the top of the batting, next to the quilt top. Or check to see which side would be more noticeable. I found it worked best for me on the top of the batt however.

i used it twice. my only suggestion at this point is to be sure you have the tape on the BACK face of the batting. First time I had thread breakage (So Fine in top and bobbin) when quilting over that strip ... and I have never experienced thread breakage before. second time i tried it, i put it on the back face of the batting and it worked better. would i buy it again? no. geez, i just read beth durand's post and we had opposite experiences. go figure! what works for one, may not work for another. just have fun!

Guest Linda S

I've used it and it works just fine. Like Beth, I buy it when I'm at the wholesaler. That makes it inexpensive enough to justify having it already cut for me.

I use strips of iron on interfacing ( the stuff we used to put inside collars and cuffs), I can get many strips cut from a metre at $3 m.

I use my applique sheet/baking paper over the top when ironing to the back of batting, as most batts have a polyester scrim.

No problems when sewing through it.

Lyn

Like Lyn, I use an iron on interfacing, which I cut into one inch strips. It is very thin and I haven't had any problems with needles.

The only time I wouldn't use it is when I'm using white or very pale fabric where you can see the strip through the fabric. In that case I use a new batt with no joins.

Just my preference.

Judy

I have used it with no problem. First time, I put in on the front side, with the tape facing up. Mind your iron temperature, since it is a poly product. Second time, I put a strip on both front and back. I had no problem quilting either quilt, and it is virtually undetectable either through light colored fabric visually (not white sheer...haven't tried that), or through the feel of the quilt in that area. Its very convenient and easy to use and store. I plan to buy more when I run out.

I have used the batting tape, it works great. Yes, you can use the fusible knit stabilizer. I like the convenience of the batting tape, and just measuring off what you need. Versus "piecing" the fusible stabilizer. However, just do not use it on the poly down batting, you will melt the batting. Learned that the hard way.

Archived