Needle up - Neddle down -- help, new concern

First off I have a Lenni, When I put the needle down so that I can bring up the bobbin thread it goes down and stays no problems. But when I push the button to bring the needle back up it comes up, goes down, and then comes up. Sometimes it takes two or three stitches instead of just one but it does finish in the up position. This is only happening when the stitch regulator is on. If I change the switch to manual mode the needle up, needle down button works as it should. Any ideas why this is happening? It's a little frustrating. This started in the middle of doing a quilt, everything was fine and then about half way through it began doing this.

Update concern: The next day I checked to be sure it was still doing it so I could call APQS. It wasn't. I cleaned Lenni, oiled, and changed the needle so I could load the next quilt. I did custom quilting on a 58 x 72 quilt lots of stops and starts and it did not happen once. I'm glad but worried that I shouldn't just brush it off. Any thoughts???

I had that problem earlier in the year.

At first it happened only with the stitch regulator, then in manual mode. Is it happening for both the front and back controls?

I'd suggest contacting Amy at APQS - it may be a simple fix such as adjusting the little gold screw located at the back of the machine (there's a little black cover over it, so it's not that obvious - but refer to the manual). Or like me, you may need a new circuit board. I was lucky that my machine was still under warranty and APQS were very prompt in sending me the new board.

I've been flying along since!

Hope things work.

Judy

Connie: The electronics in these machines are quite involved. I have an Ult2 with Intellistitch, not a Lenni. But, every once in a while something inexplicable will happen. The operation is both electronic and mechanical. Temperature, electricity, humidity, etc. all play a part. The "misbehavior" may have been an isolated incident, and not a sign of a problem. On the other hand it may have been the sign that something is failing. Until it fails, you won't know. You can't spend your time worrying about it. Just continue to use the machine. If it happens again, turn your machine off, and let it rest a bit. Turn it back on and see if it works OK. Only when the problem is there most of the time, is it time to be concerned. Good luck. Jim

Originally posted by connieb

...... I cleaned Lenni, oiled, and changed the needle so I could load the next quilt. I did custom quilting on a 58 x 72 quilt lots of stops and starts and it did not happen once. I'm glad but worried that I shouldn't just brush it off. Any thoughts???

Connie, I think keeping a clean machine, especially the bobbin area, is critical and very important to the machine's operation. I have noticed my machine seems much "happier" when I keep it lint free and blow out the bobbin case and bobbin area with every bobbin change. Oil often. A thorough cleaning (removing needle plate) - blow out and WD40 cleaning every week will keep it running smoothly and happy.

It's hard to believe that such a heavy duty industrial machine can be so "sensitive" but it really is!!! :)

So, I would not worry. Just regularly maintain and keep your machine clean and you should be good to go.

If it's not doing it any more it's OK. Sometimes static electricity can play a part in the machine. When it's acting odd, let it take a nap. Shut it off and let it cool down or remove the static build up.

I too clean the rails, check the wicks, and blow out and then oil the bobbin area before each quilt. I try to do some maintenance after each quilt but that doesn't always happen. That's one of the reasons this seems so odd to me. Guess I'll let it go and hope it was a one time thing.

Archived