Helen G

How often do you change your needle?

The other day I was chatting with a LAer friend and she told me she changes her needle with every quilt. I was quite surprised because I probably change mine every 4 or 5 quilts. I am wondering what the rest of you do? Perhaps I am really using dull needles by the time I change them. Thanks for your input!

I change my needle with every quilt and it also depends on how heavy the quilting is I will change it 3-4 times for one quilt.

Needles are cheap and I don't want and runs in the fabric with a dull needle.

c488a9097f8ffdefab27710eef89b22c.png

Nolting 24: Pro-hand guided free motion quilting-no computer and Quiltazoid owner

check out my quilts: Http://community.webshots.com/user/nuts4quilts

My sister s website Http://www.BobbinKnobbins.com

Guest Linda S

I change mine every few quilts, but I use the titanium needles. They don't wear out as quickly.

Every 3-4 quilts it gets changed

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Used to do every quilt. Now just occasionally with no set frequency but I don't quilt full time. Definately if I start getting thread shredding (usually means a burr) or breaking often, if it pops going into the fabric, or if I've just done a quilt or practice with lots of hevy background filler. I also unless it's just been changed when I do my monthly clean the rails. When I quilted full time at least once a week .

JUST QUILTING

APQS SALES & SERVICE

Fil-Tec / Glide Distributor

I change it approximately every queen size panto. If the queen is custom quilted, I might change it mid way through and also if the batting is linty, will clean my bobbin area with WD40 and re-oil. I often do several smaller quilts with the same needle.

Sandra Darlington

Darlington Quilts

2005 APQS Liberty, Circle Lord Enhanced

sandradarlington@aol.com or

DarlingtonQuilts@Gmail.com

When you hear it getting dull, or your threads are breaking...I don't change as often as maybe I should, but this is what works for me. It figures out to be every 3-5 quilts depending on size and use...

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992

I change it when I buy a new machine. I mean, why waste a good needle when you don't need too. I think that I've had my needle in my machine for about a year and a half and it still works fine even with all the popping noises and the thread breakage. It doesn't bother me at all that I have to rethread the needle when the thread breaks. AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gotcha................................every 3 to 4 quilts. I'm bad, ain't I. zeke....................

C9A05C30E468F98BDBF3AA2DFD951ECF.png

by the hour.........................

APQS Ultimate I/Compuquilter

Millennium

ztrbrg@yahoo.com

Originally posted by zeke

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gotcha................................every 3 to 4 quilts. I'm bad, ain't I. zeke....................

:P :P :P Zeke you tease!

You had me going there... hook line and sinker! ;)

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

So, tell me were you surprises at my answer. You guys should know me by now...................Ha Ha Ha..........I just had to make your jaws drop. zeke..................................

C9A05C30E468F98BDBF3AA2DFD951ECF.png

by the hour.........................

APQS Ultimate I/Compuquilter

Millennium

ztrbrg@yahoo.com

Zeke,

I knew you had a few machines, but not that many.

So you have the original Longarm Sanctuary?

Lyn

Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busyquilting.com.au   On Facebook and Instagram as BusyQuilting

Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!