How often do you change your needle?

Helen G

The other day I was chatting with a LAer friend and she told me she changes her needle with every quilt. I was quite surprised because I probably change mine every 4 or 5 quilts. I am wondering what the rest of you do? Perhaps I am really using dull needles by the time I change them. Thanks for your input!

Used to do every quilt. Now just occasionally with no set frequency but I don't quilt full time. Definately if I start getting thread shredding (usually means a burr) or breaking often, if it pops going into the fabric, or if I've just done a quilt or practice with lots of hevy background filler. I also unless it's just been changed when I do my monthly clean the rails. When I quilted full time at least once a week .

I change it when I buy a new machine. I mean, why waste a good needle when you don't need too. I think that I've had my needle in my machine for about a year and a half and it still works fine even with all the popping noises and the thread breakage. It doesn't bother me at all that I have to rethread the needle when the thread breaks. AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gotcha................................every 3 to 4 quilts. I'm bad, ain't I. zeke....................